THE GREAT WALL 5.4

Helirah the Imposing was not called that by accident. Though her strength paled in comparison to Scourge's, he could not bring her down with anything. For the sake of his promise, he had not argued with her, had not prevailed. This was also due to the fact that there were no points of disagreement in their actions. They simply went in the same direction. Scourge noticed the hyaenid's gluttony eyes and how those sharp teeth hungered for avian flesh, but for the moment, no one had crossed the line of decency. And now two more groups would join them: the orcs and the first hyaenid tribe. When they had replenished their strength and supplies at the Eternal Spring, they would set out, like separate fingers, each incapable of anything, but together they would form a fist that would sweep humanity from the face of the earth.

They reached the hollow, and beyond it they could see the green foliage. At the sight of it, Scourge's stomach growled. It had been too long since he had tasted fresh, delicious herbs, and those seemed to be it.

Helirah slapped his back hard with an open palm, laughed and said:

"Are you ready to meet this flock of ne'er-do-wells?" She looked at a avian walking beside her, winked, and added, "No offense. You know, flock."

Helirah stepped forward, leading the way. Many of the other species accompanying them looked at Scourge, waiting for him to regain the lead. He narrowed his eyes and reluctantly followed the Imposing. Along the way, he told the avian at his side - he did not fly for one of its wings was broken - to slyly call Huauau. The hyaenid got the message and came running over.

"What is it?"

"Tell me everything you know about the other tribe," he whispered. "Their relationship to this one and their willingness to obey."

Huauau glanced furtively at Helirah and chuckled.

"I see, she's giving you trouble. Well, she's the daughter of one of the matriarchs, the most powerful in raw strength. Her name is Zeppel. There are four matriarchs, but only one really makes the decisions: Kkrya the Toothless. I knew her when I was a cub and she was already big. I don't know if she's still alive."

"Do you think Helirah will take orders from her mother or from this Kkrya?"

Huauau thought for a moment.

"I don't know what caused her to separate from them in the first place, but I bet it wasn't on good terms. I imagine if all the matriarchs unite against Helirah, she'll have to do their bidding. She's the undisputed leader for a reason, though. She looks stupid, angry and unstable, but she's smart, in her own twisted way. If she sees at least one crack in the other tribe, she will use it to rip them apart and take the pieces to her side."

Scourge looked at him distrustful.

"Why are you telling me all this?"

"We all have to make difficult decisions. I, however, have the ability to quickly weigh the pros and cons of each. I've done the math, and I have more to gain than lose by supporting you. I can also make the choice for you," he raised a hand holding something invisible, "On the one hand, you can initiate a scheme of various alliances until Helirah is cornered and she gives in. Even if it means tearing a third of the empire apart. On the other hand, you can use force. Not at the first broken bone, not at the second, but at the third, Helirah will yield. And even if you have to kill her, it will only be one. If you ask me, the answer is obvious."

Huauau stepped back with his own. He hadn't noticed how the muscles in his arms had tensed at his twisted words. Why hadn't he gone back to the mountain, to the peace of the pasture?

Little was left of the green blanket that softly enveloped the cool waters of the spring. The avian he had sent to warn of they arrival returned with four orcs in white robes, riding those magical creatures called lebrillopes. They were undoubtedly the leaders. The mounts looked uneasy in front of the crowd. Especially the one carrying the only female orc. They dismounted and walked the last few steps.