THIRST 4.8

The days grew longer and duller. He moved his legs from side to side. The lucerne no longer tasted good. He missed the field, the rocks, the open air. And he hated the stableman. He knew a lot about horses, but nothing about mountain goats.

Surly snorted and decided he'd had enough. He started banging on the rafters of the stable. The stableman ran in his direction, opened the door and entered. He was not afraid because Surly had never wronged him... until now. He analyzed the food. Surly still had some. Confused, he looked at him.

"I get it, you want to stretch your legs, huh? I don't think your master will mind if you take a walk around the block."

Surly waited with angelic patience until he was sure he was free of the harness, then he headbutted the human, who ended up on the ground, and eagerly and gallantly jumped over the obstacles that separated him from freedom. The closed gate offered no resistance to his horns, for he was a large and strong animal. He made his way through the splinters and dust. Behind him, he felt the movement of the horses that had decided to join the escape. Four men tried to grab his reins, but they only managed to slow Surly down a few feet before they gave up and let him go. His trot was usually harmless to human property, but in his fright and haste, he had smashed several wooden structures and hit several bystanders that he simply could not avoid. None of them seemed to have died, though, judging by their choleric groans.

After he had moved away, he slowed his trot. At last he could feel the open air and taste the fresh green grass that grew naturally. He wondered where the human who was riding him was. He didn't know how to track him. Maybe if he followed the sea breeze he would find him.

The paths the humans built were boring, just like the lucerne they gave him was ugly. Everything was lifeless. So he decided to approach the stones that surrounded the city. Occasionally, a human would shout something incomprehensible at him, but he paid no attention. There was only one human whose voice could soothe him, and he was nowhere to be found.

His prey instincts alerted him to a nearby danger. Two dogs approached him, barking. Although Surly surpassed them in size and strength, something in his nature forced him to be cautious. He did not run, but backed away slowly, keeping his eyes on the two creatures. Suddenly he felt a pain in his back leg. A third one had crept up and bitten him. Surly began to jump up and down as the other two approached. He could still feel the teeth clinging to his paw. He ran between the big rocks. At some point, he stopped feeling the teeth. Instead, he felt a sharp pain and a pulling sensation. The third had hit an obstacle during his flight. This did not deter the other two, who were still following in his wake. A human who had noticed the situation came towards them with a stick. It was a small boy, similar to the small creature that accompanied his master, but this one was not frightening and did not exude the scent of a predator. When they saw the boy, the two dogs stopped, gave a whimpering growl, and retreated. Surly was very nervous, but he stopped and watched him. He had a friendly smile and gave off a lot of peace.

"Hello, friend, hello. Come, come closer," he said as he gently put the stick aside and bridged the distance with soft steps. Surly lifted his head and stopped. "That's it, stay still, I won't hurt you."

He put his hand on the space between his nose and eyes, then wanted to take the bridle. He jerked and took a few steps back. The little boy insisted. Surly let him. He thought it would lead him somewhere, but instead he took it off and then analyzed his paw. It didn't hurt too much, but Surly could smell blood. The little boy took off his shirt, tore it on a sharp stone and tied it like a bandage. Surly brought his head closer, sniffed it and licked his cheek, then withdrew, ready to continue his search, the search for his master, for rich herbs to eat, or for some freedom. Whichever came first.