The painted table.

~Ryker
"Am I right in assuming you will be unavailable tonight?" Condon asks, wearing the biggest grin as the island of Dragonstone draws nearer.
"Possibly. It depends on whether she can explain the hostile Ironborn ships we had to sneak past," I mutter.
"Even if she has made alliances, it does seem a bit off for her to set up two blockades. And so far apart, it doesn't add up," he agrees.
I let out a sigh and tap the railing with my fingers. "Is Jon ready?"
"Aye, the guards are bringing him up from the hold as soon as the small boats are ready to be lowered."
"Have him brought up now; I need to talk to him."
"As you wish." He bows slightly and turns away.
I look down at the water, silently regretting how short I am being with him. Ever since we left, I have had an unsettling feeling in my stomach, especially since we had to sneak past two blockades of different Ironborn ships. I fear my return to Winterfell might not be as swift as Sansa would like. I know how the Lords of Westeros work; they will flock to whomever they think has the better odds of winning. However, in this case, I fear Cersei and her brother will use Daenery's army of foreigners against her when pleading to the Lords.
"Your Majesty," Condon grabs my attention as he leads my shackled half-brother towards me.
"Thank you, Condon," I tell my favorite knight and give him a dismissive nod. "You're a military man," I say to Jon, turning around to face the water. "And you know more about what's happened in Westeros while I was away. No offense to Condon, but I need help understanding why two groups of ships from the same house look entirely different."
"The Greyjoys?" He grunts out. Nodding, I look back and gesture for him to come closer. "Euron Greyjoy was said to have returned. If he's as mad as they say, he's probably with Cersei. If I were sailing, I would avoid any Ironborn ship that looks too flashy."
"Flashy?"
"Ones that look like a monarch would be sailing them," he clarifies. "Theon was a cunt, still is, but if he has reunited with his sister Yara."
"The one who basically captained Balon's entire fleet?"
"Aye, that's the one. She is level-headed, a proud Ironborn who lives by the old ways. If she's here, then we know which side of the war she stands on."
I let out another sigh as I rub my forehead. "This is not good. Based on where Euron's fleet is set, if they go anywhere, he will trap them," I mumble to myself.
"I thought you said she had dragons."
"She does, but she doesn't like to use them on her enemies. In fact, she's made it a point not to," I tell him.
"She might not have a choice now."
"You're saying burn the ships from above?" I ask as a plan forms in my mind. "Darkest hour would be best, a storm even better. Use three ships as bait, then get them from behind."
"Of course, you wouldn't want to burn all of them."
I nod my head. "Just enough to weaken the armada, and if we're lucky enough, take Euron's head off while we're at it."
"He is King of the Iron Islands."
"Maybe, but with him dead and Yara on our side, there will be not a rightful Greyjoy left to dispute her claim. Give them the Iron Islands, and in return, they will offer their services as thanks, services which we can dictate."
I watch him think as he turns out to the open water. "Why are you talking about this with me?"
"Sansa," I answer simply. "She doesn't want you dead, and you are on this path that will most certainly lead to your death. I'm trying to help you find a middle ground, help you realize there is more than The North or Winterfell. If you let me help you, I will do everything in my power to make sure we find whatever it is to make you happy."
"Except what I want," he mumbles.
"If that's truly what you want, then I'm afraid the only place in Winterfell you will ever reside over is the cells."
He lets out a bark of laughter as he adjusts the shackles. "I thought as much." He turns to me. "I found out Father had died soon after I took my vows. I was so angry I left Castle Black in the dead of night, only to be stopped by my brothers. When Robb died, I was beyond The Wall with the Wildlings. By the time I learned of his death the Bolton's had already taken over at Winterfell." He pauses before glancing at me then back to the water. "I remember walking into the dining hall at Castle Black and hearing about Robb's battle and the capture of Jaime Lannister. When my brothers spoke of your death in the battle, all I could think about was our fight the night before you married Margaery." He let out a deep breath. "I was and still am a terrible brother to you, Ryker. You didn't deserve half of the shit I put you through, and I'm sorry. You were right, I am an asshole."
Giving him a tight smile, I nod my head. "Yes, you are. However, you're a smart, capable asshole. You let the Wildlings past the Wall, then convinced almost half of The North to fight alongside them instead of against them. That's why Sansa is so worried that you let that cunt inside your mind, Jon."
"I know. I didn't mean to; it's just he pointed out all I have done to save our home for you to come in and steal it from me, with foreign soldiers no less. He used that and the fact I've been an outsider all my life to turn me against you and Sansa. Saying that she was frightened because of what Ramsay did to her, he said that you would sell her off just as he did, except you would sell her to the savages in order to show the Targaryen how dedicated you are to her and her cause," he explained nervously. "It became too much. I let him get to me."
"When I bring you before her, she will ask about your chains. Tell her not only what you have told me but everything else too. She is a fair and merciful ruler, so long as you remain honest with her," I tell him.
"Your Majesty, it's time to board the boats," Condon informs us, giving Jon a silent glare.
"Have the men stay on board until there has been a decision about the Dragonglass. And have someone get Ser Davos—"
"I'm here, Your Majesty," he interrupts me.
"Good. You were Jon's right-hand; is that still true?" I ask the stressed man.
His eyes move over to my brother, staring him in the eyes. "As long as he makes the honorable choice, I will remain at his side," Davos confirms firmly.
"All right then. When Jon is brought forward, Daenerys will ask for witnesses," I tell them, knowing my wife. "You will be his witness. You have been there from the start and the only one here who can speak truly of his claims." I tell him before turning and walking to the boats.
Looking to the beach, I smile, recognizing Missandei's wild hair blowing in the wind. For some reason, seeing her standing on the beach with the Lannister made seeing my family very real. For so long, I had to force this moment to the back of my mind until it was just a distant thought, only allowing it to come forward when I had a moment of complete solitude. "Get him in the boat," I order, keeping my eyes on my wife's most trusted friend.
It didn't take long to row the short distance to the shore, and as soon as the small boat hit the ground, I jumped out and helped the others pull it inwards. Not stopping my jog, I rush up to Missandei, wrapping my arms around her waist. I pick her up and spin her around, laughing at her squeal. "I have missed you," I say, setting her down. I pull back, keeping my hand on her hips just in case I made her dizzy.
"Not only me, I hope," she responds with a laugh.
"No, not only you," I assure. "Speaking of, where is she?"
"Currently in a meeting with our allies. I'm afraid Lord Tyrion and I will have to suffice for now."
"Glad to have you back with us, Your Majesty," I hear him call out from behind me.
Rolling my eyes, I spin on my heel and face him. "Good to be— that's new." I nod to the pin on his chest marking him as The Hand of the Queen.
"So is that." He shoots back, nodding to my shackled brother currently being escorted by Condon and Ser Davis.
"Slight disagreement." I shrug, then look to their guards. "Please escort my brother and his witness to the cells until called upon." In unison, the six Unsullied move forward; two of them grab Jon's arms, but when they move to Ser Davos, I shake my head. "He is just a witness; no need to put him in a cell."
"My King," he nods before gently escorting Ser Davos away.
"Ser Condon, it's nice to see you," Missandei greets him.
"As is you," he returns with a nod.
"Well, this has been nice," Tyrion states awkwardly. "Shall we go save our Queen from the arguing we left her to?"
"Lead the way," I gesture.
Walking up the beach, Missandei takes her place next to me, matching her steps with mine. "Seeing as you are still here, I take it the battle for Winterfell favored you?" She asks, still holding her smile.
"It was hardly a battle," I answer, taking in the vast metal gate and the stonework that surrounds it. "We kept our word; the blood that was spilled belonged only to those who deserved it."
"What of their army?" Tyrion shouts over the sound of the waves crashing into the walkway.
Peering over the edge, I recoil a bit and walk closer to Missandei. "King Ryker gave them the choice to kneel or perish with their traitorous Lords," Condon answers for me.
"How many men?" Tyrion asks.
"Six thousand from Bolton's army, two thousand Wildlings, two thousand from the Vale, and about a thousand more from the lower houses," I answer.
Just before we are about to walk through another high-vaulted gate, he turns to look at me. "Only eleven thousand? When I was taken prisoner by your mother, she took me through the bloody gates. While I was there, Lady Lysa boasted how there were over twenty thousand Knights in the Vale," he claims, narrowing his eyes.
I shrug my shoulders. "Maybe they have more men, maybe they don't. Either way," I harden my voice as I bend down to get in his face. "I don't answer to you, Lannister."
"Tyrion," Missandei warns as he opens his mouth to respond.
"My apologies for the overstep, My King. I am just a hand looking out for the best interests of his Queen," he retorts, clenching his jaw.
"The Queen you speak of is waiting for our return, Lord Tyrion," Missandei says, stepping between us, forcing me to straighten my back.
"You're right as always, Missandei." Tyrion huffs out then spins back around and leads us through the gate.
"You shouldn't wind him up like that. Our queen chose him for a reason," Missandei whispers as we continue down the carved hallways.
"Aye, she did. Still doesn't make me trust him," I whisper back.
Wherever we are going, there sure is a lot of yelling that carries from the room. "Then you should settle for trusting her," she advises before walking through the doorway.
"We should hit King's Landing now. Hard. With everything we have," I hear a woman yell as I follow Missandei. My eyes look around the room as Missandei and Condon take their spots along the walls, and Tyrion stops at the table in front of the yelling woman. "The city will fall within the day."
"While that may be true," I spoke up as I walked up to the ancient table, feeling every eye in the room turn to me. However, I kept my eyes on the Ironborn as I kept my emotions in check, just as my father taught me. "If we turn the dragons loose, how many innocent people will die in a war they didn't agree to be in? The point of all this is to show the people of Westeros that Daenerys is not her father. Burning King's Landing just to get to the Throne will confirm the rumors Cersei has spread to the Houses."
"It's called war," the Ironborn spat back giving me a glare.
I let out a small laugh. "Yara, right?" I pointed to her, then tapped the table. "Tell me something, Yara. Have you ever been in a war? Have you ever been in battle? On land that is?"
Her eyes glanced to Daenerys before looking back to me. "I've-"
"I'll stop you right there. And save us all the time you will waste trying to defend your honor. There are lines you do not cross when fighting in a war or when bleeding in a battle. Killing the innocent, that's crossing one of those lines. And that line is one I will never allow anyone here to cross, not in the name of your house, and especially not in the name of Daenerys Targaryen. Are we clear?"
"Who ar-"
"Are we clear?" I interrupted her again, not caring that I was being impolite.
"Yes, My king, we are clear," Prince Oberyn answered for her.
"King Ryker is right. I am not here to be Queen of the ashes." Hearing her voice for the first time in a long time caused a shiver through my body. Fearing I would rip her clothes off the moment I saw her, I looked down to the table instead.
"That's very nice to hear," I smiled as Lady Olenna spoke. "Commoners, nobles, they're all just children, really. They won't obey you unless they fear you."
"I'm grateful to you, Lady Olenna, for your counsel. I'm grateful to all of you," Daenerys responded tactfully. "But you have chosen to follow me. I will not attack King's Landing. We will not attack King's Landing."
"Then how do you mean to take the Iron Throne? By asking nicely?" Lady Olenna asked as I studied the lands painted on the table.
"We will lay siege to the capital, surrounding the city on all sides," my wife answered. "Cersei will have her Iron Throne, but no food for her army or the people."
"But we won't use Dothraki and Unsullied," Tyrion continued. "Cersei will try to rally the Lords of Westeros by appealing to their loyalty, their love for their realm. If we besiege the city with foreigners, we prove her point. Our army should be Westerosi."
"And I suppose we're providing the Westerosi?" Prince Oberyn asked as Tyrion came to a stop beside me.
"You are. Lady Greyjoy will escort you home to Sunspear, and her Iron Fleet will ferry the Dornish back to King's Landing," Tyrion explained, placing a sun figurine next to two lions that sat upon the drawing of King's Landing. "The Dornish will lay siege to the capital alongside the Tyrell army. Two great Kingdoms united against Cersei."
"So your master plan is to use our armies?" Lady Olenna asked as I realized they had no clue what lay beyond the smoky waters of Dragonstone's port.
"The Unsullied will have another objective," he retorted, picking up a helm and walking back towards Daenerys. "For decades, House Lannister has been the true power in Westeros." I fought the scoff that threatened to escape my throat. "And the seat of that power is Casterly Rock. Grey Worm and the Unsullied will sail for The Rock and take it." He finished, knocking off the lone lion and placing the helm on top of the marker.
"That's a good plan, a great plan, very diplomatic, only a few flaws," I walked to the marker of Blackwater Bay and picked up two ships. "While everyone has been here within the walls of this castle, Euron Greyjoy has surrounded your entire fleet." I said, placing one ship at Sharp Point and the other at Claw Isle. "We had to sneak past them in the dead of night. My guess is he's waiting until you sail away from Dragonstone to attack." I looked to Tyrion.
"You said there were a few flaws, that's one," he snapped back.
"House Lannister has not been the true power of Westeros in years, maybe the richest, but true power? No." Leaning over, I picked up a lion and walked around the table. "House Lannister bought power, and now, regardless of a siege, the lions have been starving due to their gold being run dry long ago." I continued, passing my beautiful wife and tapping the lion against my palm in order to keep my hands to myself. "When a Lannister cannot pay their debts, where do you think they will turn?" I asked the quiet room. When they didn't answer, I set the lion down on Highgarden with a resounding thunk, while meeting Lady Olenna's eyes.
"Knowing what we do now, how would you proceed, King Ryker? If it was you commanding our armies," I heard Daenerys ask quietly.
"Lady Greyjoy wants to use the dragons, so we do."
"Ryker," Daenerys said under her breath.
"We use a group of unmanned ships to lure them out. When they start to close in, we hit the head of the attack. Rain fire on them from the sky and send in a few smaller ships made for speed and stealth. Take captives, only kill when necessary. Even better if we get Euron Greyjoy, dead or alive, it doesn't matter. His fleet will fall the moment his head is removed from his body. Whether or not that happens on a ship or here on land, the end result will be the same," I explained, taking a step back. "Meanwhile." I pick up a golden shield. "When the attention is on the battle the bulk of your fleet will depart the port." I look to Yara. "Instead of using the Unsullied we deploy the Golden Company." I place the shield down next to the lion. "They might not be Weserosi now but they started off that way. More importantly, they look Westerosi, they fight like Westerosi and using them it will force the Lords of Westeros to see that our cause is not what Cersei told them it will be."
"Your Grace, I must implore that yo-"
"Enough," Daenerys cut him off. "We will proceed with King Ryker's plan. Do I have your support?" She asked those gathered.
Yara flashed me a grin before looking to my wife. "You have mine," she nodded.
"Dorne is with you, Your Grace," my eyebrows furrowed at Prince Oberyn's choice of words.
I looked to Lady Olenna; she gave me a warm smile and nodded silently to Daenerys.
"Thank you all," she said to them. "Ready your people; we sail at dusk."