this is a state of grace

Start from the beginning

"Nice to meet you too," Jennie deadpans, raising an eyebrow. Clearly Lisa doesn't bother wasting time on pleasantries. Jennie supposes that's a good thing; Lisa might turn out be a boring partner but at least it's unlikely she'll slack off and make Jennie do all the work. "Well I have cheer practice after school, so I can't do today, but tomorrow? We have art class before lunch so we can talk about it then?"

Lisa nods. "Tomorrow sounds good. I'll see you then, Jennie."

She spins around and follows her friend out of the door, and Jennie wonders how, in all the various classes she's shared with her for the past three years, she's never noticed how pretty Lisa is.

*

"Jackson Wang is a dick," Chaeyoung announces as soon as she walks onto the field after school, Jisoo trotting along behind her. "I am going to fail this assignment, all because Mr Kwon, who is also a dick, can I point out, hates me and stuck with me that asshole."

"He only hates you because Chanyeol accidentally set his greenhouse on fire last year," Somi points out from where she's helping Mina stretch.

"Exactly!" Chaeyoung squeaks. "That wasn't even me, that was my idiot of a brother, who doesn't even go to this school anymore."

Jisoo wraps her arm around her in support, and Chaeyoung snuggles into her, still grumbling under her breath. She kisses her on the cheek, and Jennie prepares to turn away lest she gets nauseous. Jisoo and Chaeyoung aren't exactly shy about PDA. She's lost count of the amount of times she's witnessed them in compromising situations at parties or movie nights or in empty classrooms Jennie thought would be a good place to study.

"Anyway," Chaeyoung says, looking at Jennie. Thank God they don't appear to want to gross Jennie out too much today. She's pretty sure they do it on purpose sometimes. "What do you think Foxy is going to be like?"

"Who?"

"Lisa. I don't think I've ever heard that girl speak," Chaeyoung replies, looking slightly concerned. "She seems a little weird. What if she's like, a serial killer? Or a witch?"

"She's not a serial killer Chaeng, she's just quiet. Reserved." Jennie looks pointedly at her. "Unlike some people I can think of."

Chaeyoung flips her off, and Jisoo turns to look at Jennie. "Why are we talking about Lisa?"

"She's Jennie's partner for this stupid biology assignment," Chaeyoung tells her, the amount of disdain in her voice when she says biology assignment reminding everyone of her feelings on it.

"Wait you went to middle school with her didn't you?" Jennie asks, and Jisoo nods. "What do you know about her?"

Somi laughs. "Jennie you're working on a biology project with her for two weeks, I don't think you need to know the girl's whole life story."

"Uh, I know she's adopted and that she's friends with my neighbour Bambam, that's it," Jisoo says, turning to look in the direction of where the softball team is gathered when someone shouts her name. "I gotta go now, I'm late for practice, but Lisa's over there. Just quiz her yourself, Reporter Kim."

Jennie turns around in surprise, following the direction that she points in to see Lisa coming out from beside the bleachers, heading in their direction with Aileen-slash-Iris accompanying her.

"Hi," Lisa says when she arrives in front of Jennie.

"Hey," Jennie replies, slightly confused. She doesn't think she's ever seen Lisa within twenty feet of the gymnasium, let alone on the football field. Lisa glances around at the group of people behind Jennie, shifting nervously under the litany of stares and looking mildly uncomfortable in the presence of the other cheerleaders. Jennie turns to fix them with a look of go away, they dutifully scurry off, and she turns back to Lisa. "What's up?"