Summer On The Shore Part V

Start from the beginning

"Sweetie? Is there anything I can help you with before this one has her bottle and cereal snacks?" My wife's words quickly brought me out of my trance of analyzing Becca and Teddy's interactions.

"Callie, I'm good right now, but thank you for the offer and for feeding our little one." I gave Callie a deep kiss on her lips when Becca and Teddy started making the, "wolf whistle," sound in response to our passionate lip-lock.

"Funny you two!" Callie and I both shot them annoyed, but amused looks at their unsolicited sound effects as Callie piped up for us.

"Hey, don't let us stop you! We're just impressed at what you two have and are openly jealous we are single!" Teddy and Becca started laughing at the conclusion of Becca's comment.

"When you two least suspect it, that's when it happens. Mark my words, because I know in a few years, we'll all look back at when you both were single, and smile about your 'then current relationships,' and how amazing they are."

Callie beamed at both of them as she spoke and walked by with Maddy and her food, in tow. She was headed to the game room to spend some time with Sophia and Anna as they watched TV and she fed Madelyn.

"While I'd love to believe that someday I'll find my other half, I'm also a realist! So, for the moment, I'm going to live life on my terms. Which, one of those terms is my need to use the bathroom at the moment!" Becca stood up while she talked, patted Teddy on her shoulder and headed up the steps to her room.

"Hey, Teddy? Any chance you could open that bottle of wine for us? I'll be back in a few and would love to hear more about that case with the 8 year old with cardiomyopathy we were discussing during the hike."

While Becca talked, I noticed Renee and Ari had slipped back in and Ari had gone up to their bedroom while Renee stayed in the kitchen. Becca was almost on Ari's heels, as they disappeared to their respective bedrooms. That left Teddy, Renee and myself alone.

"Well, it's been a while since the three of us have been together." Teddy had joined us in the kitchen while she spoke.

"Arizona? What can I help you with?" Renee, of course, was not shy about asking me what she could do. 

I knew all too well she wouldn't take, No, for an answer, and frankly, could use her help with the huge meal. While Renee was not a professionally trained chef, she was an accomplished cook who I enjoyed working with since minute one. We not only had fun cooking together, but worked flawlessly as a team on any project we had taken on during our relationship.

"Renee, I'm making my usual lasagna recipe, so jump in wherever you like."

Renee was smiling as she nodded, and started boiling salted water to cook the lasagna noodles. She quickly moved on to chopping basal and the other herbs for the sauce.

"Ladies? Can I help?" Teddy had grabbed the wine bottle Becca had mentioned and started trying to open it.

"Teddy, looks like Arizona already opened the canned tomatoes for the sauce, so I guess this means you're off the hook!" I had to giggle at Renee's comment towards our shared friend, as Teddy gave Renee a smirk. 

We love Teddy to death, but when it comes to cooking, well... let's just say Teddy's better cutting things in an OR, than in a kitchen. Let's face it, not all of us were meant to cook.

"Besides, it sounds like you already have plans with your, "girlfriend," this afternoon and don't have time for Arizona or myself. Remember us? Your two friends you've barely said anything to since you got here yesterday?"

In that moment, I suddenly remembered Renee's ability to see through the nuances of people's interactions and her aptitude to understand what was happening within them.