I could tell he was thinking as his eyes finally lifted from his food to me, "They should have left Belmonte if they suffered so." Another simple answer left his lips, "Or perhaps worked harder. Your people had a healthy economy before." My chest felt heavy as I let my fork sit in my bowl, "If your people hadn't closed the dirt routes and blocked our connection to the water ways then the trading industry wouldn't have died.." I snapped as I stood up in my chair, "My people were isolated and suffering. The problems were clearly more than just lack of work or enthusiasm." His eyes widened slightly as I pushed my bowl away and made my way to the bed.

Hearing his simple response to my people's suffering made my stomach sick. I could barely keep the anger off my face with every memory of my people crying at the castle gates and reaching out to me to tell me of my father's wrongs.

He caused the problems but I carried the burden.

"You're upset." His tone seemed slightly surprised but I still brushed him off as I grabbed a pillow. I could hear him stand from his seat but I ignored him as I snatched the blanket too, "You lack empathy." I bunched the cloth in my arms as I made my way towards the exit.

"Are you not going to bed?" He looked at me confused as he made his way over, "I'll sleep in another tent. I rather not share a bed with a stranger nor a man who lacks common sense." I moved to step around him but he held a hand out, "My apologies, princess but please refrain from leaving in this state. I'll find another tent." He motioned to my attire but I didn't care as I stepped back.

"My exposed skin is the least of my worries." I quickly walked around him and slipped on my wedding shoes. I could tell he was losing patience as he refrained from grabbing me, "The sun has set and there are guards patrolling the ar-" I didn't let him finish his sentence as I flipped open the tent flap and made my way out.

Darkness greeted me like a cold embrace as the chilly night reminded me of where I was. The sound of crickets was relaxing until it was accompanied by heavy steps behind me. I kept on scurrying forward, "Don't follow me!" I snapped quietly but his footsteps became louder and louder.

I tried to pick up speed, "You are no longer needed for the nigh-" Large hands gripped my waist, turning me right to face Malik. The dark couldn't conceal his angry face as he held me tight, "I get it! Your frustration is noticed! Now get back in the tent!" He snapped in a low tone but still I resisted by smacking at his hands.

"No!" My simple answer clearly was the breaking point as he scooped me up bridal style, holding me tightly to his chest,"Hard Headed! Did you give the thieves this same treatment?!" He snapped and struggled to hold my kicking body. My hands pushed against his chest, "Yes!" I answered proudly as he marched us right back into the tent.

I tried hanging onto the fabric of the tent opening to make him struggle further but he was too quick ducking us back inside. I kicked my legs and pushed at his chest, hoping one of my heels would fly off to hit him but sadly they hit the floor with a dull thud. I groaned in frustration as I looked up to him.

"Enough!" I snapped and watched as he carried me to the bed. Despite his anger, he still placed me gently upon the sheets before rubbing a tired hand down his face. His chest was heaving from how frustrated he was and mine was no different.

I reached for my pillow and threw it hard, smacking him right in his face. It clearly caught him by surprised as he ripped it off and looked at me as if I was crazed, "Really?! Over a conversation?" He questioned as he stepped forward but I didn't back down as I nodded my head, "Yes! Over your uneducated words and thoughtless approach." I snapped and turned back to grab another pillow.

Solid mass connected to my back, knocking me back into the bed. My jaw lowered as I looked back at the Prince who's face seemed clearly entertained by his aim.

I swiped the pillow off before grabbing it again, "You-!" I stood up on the mattress before stomping my way over, "Insolent! Rude! Bratty! Uneducated! Smelly!-" with every word my pillow connected with his arms that shielded his head from every hit, "BARBARIAN!" I yelled as I raised my pillow again but his hands were quick to stop me.

Both hands grasped my wrist as he held them up, making me fight his grasp and kick at him. It was clearly useless as his body didn't flinch once and his once entertained face was stoic. It was the same look he gave the thieves before and it made my legs stop.

"Princess. Enough." His harsh tone made my heart quicken as I stood still, watching him carefully, "No. Now let me go." I fought hard to keep my voice from wavering but I knew he heard clearly.

"You're the first woman to ever lay hands on me." He watched me closely still, "Repeatedly too." He shook his head as a small chuckle left his lips but it was clear he wasn't entertained by it.

The grip he had on my skin tightened as he pulled me closer until his lips brushed my ear, "Next time I'll count every strike you lay upon me and return it onto you." His other hand moved to my waist, pressing our bodies to one another, "Do you understand?" He questioned and I hesitated.

His closeness left my mind numb and my lips useless. To be so close to a man was new let alone one of his stature. I inwardly cursed my racing thoughts as I leaned away from his lips.

"Answer." His tone turned aggressive, making my head nod quickly which seemed to satisfy him. The hand on my waist squeezed gently, "I've yet to be harsh with you and I do not wish to be." His voice lowered as he raised his head from my ear.

Our noses remained an inch apart as he forced his eyes onto mine, "Is punishment what you desire, princess?" He questioned and I quickly shook my head no, earning a pleased look from him.

Everything between us felt far too intense.

His grip on my wrists. His eyes on my body. His closeness. Our shared anger.

Part of me wanted to kick him one last time to see what would happen but I stayed still, giving in to his threats.
The word punishment was far too familiar in my raising and I knew nothing of what truly would entail from him.

I suppose he saw the fear in my eyes as his grip on my wrist loosened but still held me steady, "I understand your anger. It is fair." His voice had softened back to normal, "And as much as I enjoy your attitude, it's far past enough. The day has been long and I'm sure your body agrees." His eyes locked with mine for a moment before I looked away.

"My body is fine." I lied and ignored his gaze travel down my body. I knew he could see far too much. My nipples had hardened from the cold and my raised arms lifted my gown. I dared not to look down and see just how much of my legs were exposed.  I could only hope the low light from the candles kept the fabric solid.

I could feel my cheeks warm with a blush as I looked back to him, "You can release me."

His hands gently let my wrists go, "Apologies again, princess." His voice had softened but I barely payed him mind as I crossed my arms over my chest.

We sat in silence for a long moment.

"I wish to rest." I spoke up, "Or will I be punished?" My tone was laced with attitude as I adjusted myself, shifting to sit on my knees before I wrapped the blanket around myself. He reached to give me my pillow back but I quickly slapped his hand away, making him sigh, "I have apologized and still I get hit." He gave me a tired look in which I met with my own glare.

"I'll consider your apology." I turned back to the bed and waddled away from the edge, "For now, I want to rest." I brushed him off and grabbed my pillow. He said nothing as he watched me lay down once again and curl up right in the center.

"Fine. Then we'll rest." He said nothing more as he walked around the bed to sit down. I looked at him confused as he slid his boots off and then laid back. He didn't reach for my blanket or the pillows I stole from his side.

He simply closed his eyes and lay still.

I couldn't help myself as I leaned in a little closer, watching his face carefully. I couldn't care whether he could feel my eyes or not.

Perhaps I judged him too soon. The little act of chivalry could never equate for his lack of empathy.

I didn't want to think of him any longer as I turned away and laid my head to rest. I did my best to stop my racing thoughts as once again, I knew I wanted to be at peace.