As the golden rays of the Australian sun filtered through her window, Monica threw back her covers and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. She padded over to her dresser and chose her outfit carefully, opting for her a relaxed tee and a pair of comfortable jeans. She glanced at herself in the mirror, her heart fluttering with excitement and anxiety.

Her phone buzzed, and she glanced at the screen, seeing that Ellie was calling her. She answered with a smile, knowing that Ellie rarely called during the day.

"Hey, Els." Monica greeted.

"Hey, Moni," Ellie replied, her tone a mix of excitement and secrecy. "I've got a little surprise for you. Check your porch." 

Monica's curiosity piqued. "A surprise? Right now?"

"Yeah, I had something special delivered to your place. It's a little token for you," Ellie explained, her voice filled with a hint of mischief. Monica wasted no time. She headed to the front door, finding a neatly wrapped package on her porch. The familiar handwriting on the package confirmed it was from Ellie. She brought it inside and carefully tore away the wrapping, revealing a Matildas home jersey with Carpenter and number 21 on the back.

Monica couldn't help but smile as she held the jersey in her hands, appreciating the gesture from her best friend. "Ellie, this is amazing!"

Ellie chuckled on the other end. "I knew you'd like it. Wear it with pride babes. You're my good luck charm, you know."

 "Thank you so much, Ellie. You're incredible." Monica thanked her best friend.

"Anytime, Mon. Now, let's both get ready for the big game. I'll be giving it my all out there," Ellie said with determination.

"I'll be there hun, love ya." 

"love ya too." With that Monica hung up before going to change into her new jersey. With a confident smile, Monica began to style her hair into a half up, half down 'do. She gathered the upper section of her honey locks and secured it with  green and yellow ribbons, tying it in a neat bow. The vibrant colours contrasted beautifully with her hair, echoing the enthusiasm she felt for the game. 

Monica Reyes entered the bustling stadium, the anticipation of the World Cup match palpable in the air

Monica Reyes entered the bustling stadium, the anticipation of the World Cup match palpable in the air. With her Matildas jersey proudly worn and her green and yellow ribbons adorning her hair, she navigated the sea of excited fans. Her heart raced as she made her way to the family and friends section. As Monica reached her destination, she spotted familiar faces. Ellie's family was there, waving and smiling as they recognized her. She greeted them warmly, taking her seat next to them. The camaraderie among the players' loved ones was evident, and Monica felt like part of an extended soccer family.

As the anticipation in the stadium reached its peak, the teams made their way onto the field for the pre-match rituals. Monica Reyes watched with bated breath as the Australian Matildas and the Republic of Ireland's "Girls in Green" emerged from the tunnel. Her eyes were trained on her best friend who walked with such confidence and pride.