Silence.

An all too familiar man to Hyewon broke the quiet. He stood up. "I'm afraid that is not possible, Jaeho. As a Chiye, she has been taught to place loyalty above things. Are you perhaps shaming the Chiye Clan?" he asks dangerously without looking at her.

Surprise. Hyewon didn't expect him to interfere. She felt her blood boil. She. He didn't even dare to say her name. Not even acknowledge her presence.

"Then should I praise her for it and condemn you for your lack of it?" Lia's father sneered. "Don't put up an act, Kangseok. We all know you're defending your bastard daughter to protect your reputation. Or did you already forget your little scandal with her pitiful mother? At least, I'm loyal to my wife-"

Kangseok's jaw tightened. "What happened years ago is not of your concern, Yoon Jaeho," he replies quietly. And for a brief moment, his eyes swept towards hers, but they quickly averted eyesight. "Leave the past in the past. I do not interfere for her sake. I'm pointing out the truth."

Leave the past in the past? Ha! She wanted to run up to where he was and shake him by the collar. I don't need you to defend me, you petty excuse of a father, she wanted to scream. She had done fine without him all these years and she didn't need him. Don't defend me as if you care!

Because he didn't. No matter what her mother said, he'd always be the absent, selfish bastard who left her life.

"Advisor Lee is correct, Minister Yoon. We have more pending things to discuss." Emperor Hankyu cut in. "General Kang, prepare our soldiers for battle. I have a feeling the West won't hold back this time. Tighten the security. There must be a spy here, whether or not it is Warrior Cho. Make sure that no one leaves without my consent."

The general bows. "Of course. I'll inform our lieutenants and colonels, Your Majesty." He leaves the court without another word.

"And, son," the emperor's sharp gaze lands on Riki. "No more dilly-dallying. You are prohibited from leaving palace grounds from now on without my permission. If you do leave, there will be severe consequences, Riki. I mean it." he warns sternly. "Don't think that I wasn't aware of your leave earlier."

The prince tips his head. "I understand, Father."

"Good." He gestures at him. "You and Warrior Cho may be dismissed. I need to have a private conversation with my council."

-

"I can't believe that Minister Yoon thinks you killed Envoy Shin." Was the first thing that came out of his mouth as she stepped out of the room.

"Well," Hyewon raised an eyebrow, "Didn't you think I was a spy in the beginning as well?" she points out. "You were quite determined to prove it, too."

He blushes. "That was a long time ago."

She merely hums. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go. I don't want to be here any longer than I need to."

Without a set destination, Hyewon just trailed after him mindlessly, unaware of where they were heading until they stopped right in front of his door, only a few meters away from her own. The prince flung the door carelessly, smacking Hyewon in the face, before flopping into bed like a dead fish.

"Seriously?" she kicked his foot. "You made me come all the way for you to just sleep?"

"Y'know, no one asked you to follow me. Ugh," he groaned before sitting properly on the bed. "If you want to start the conversation, go ahead cause my brain's empty."

"You're just lazy."

"I know." He didn't say anything else, probably stewing over his thoughts. "So..." he began, albeit nervously. "The person who stood up for you there... that was your father, wasn't it?" Riki asked quietly. "I never knew he was my father's advisor."