Chapter 12 - Daro

Author's Note: THIS. THIS IS WHEN THE FUN BEGINS! =D Also, it's pretty fast-paced, but I don't think the itty bitty details matter. :') Plus a bonus scene from Echo's POV for angst reasons. :')

~ Rivana Rita

Omega is working on Gonky, trying to fix his circuitry, even though everyone insists it's pointless, when Echo calls them to the cockpit for a comm from Rex. "Hello, boys," Rex greets them, "Sorry to cut right to it, but I could use your help."

"What do you need, Rex?" Echo asks.

"I received a distress signal from a clone trooper, but I'm a bit tied up at the moment to retrieve him."

"What's his situation?" Crosshair asks.

"He's an old friend, and he's in trouble," Rex replies, "I need you to get him out." He glances to the side at something off the hologram. "Can't talk right now. Sending you his signal. I'll be in touch."

"What was that all about?" Wrecker asks after the hologram fades out.

"The distress signal sent by CC-5576 is originating from Daro, a terrestrial planet in the Outer Rim with no known settlements or installations," Tech reports, looking at the scans.

"We have to go," Echo says determinedly.

"May I remind you that we are in the middle of a job for Cid? If we deviate, we will not be compensated. No money means no food," Tech objects.

"Tech's got a point," Wrecker volunteers, ever food-motivated.

"Cid owes us right now," Crosshair reminds dryly. She does, and Omega knows that. Everyone knows that, actually. They're the only reason she's still in business anywhere. Her parlor was nearly stolen, and she called them in to get her out of trouble. Which they did. Even if it got... tense.

"Rex's friend is in trouble. That's more important than getting paid, right?" Omega interjects.

"That's a risk we have to take every mission we go on," Echo replies, "Tech, see what you can find about this place."

"Seeing as it's uninhabited, that would not be much."

"And if it's a trap?" Crosshair asks.

"Rex wouldn't have asked us to do it if it wasn't important," Echo replies firmly, and they leave it at that.

***

"We are approaching Daro's atmosphere. I'll bring us in low to avoid any possible tracking scanners," Tech says, and sends them downwards.

They land near the signal and disembark, hands near their weapons. Crosshair sees no obvious threats, but that doesn't mean much. (Hunter's not here to sense them, either.)

"Do you scan anything?" Echo asks as they walk through the towering trees.

"My scans are being jammed," Tech replies, tapping on his datapad.

"You said there was nothing on this planet," Wrecker objects.

"That data appears to be inaccurate."

It takes a few minutes to locate the beacon, but when they do, there's... no one there. There are no signs of anyone, either.

"Where is he?" Omega asks, looking around.

With the brush and all, it's very, very hard to detect footprints here. There are many nearby broken branches, but that doesn't answer how to find him. It's not like they have a way to track him, either.

"Clearly, not here," Tech replies.

"So, where do we go?" Omega inquires.

"If there's an Imperial presence here, it's hidden," Echo says, "I didn't see anything when we were landing."