vii. ⸺ the death of a sheriff

Start from the beginning

She nodded, slowly standing in an upright position. "I have not met many men who have a pet wolf."

"He's not a pet."

Elizabeth looked back at the man. "Then he's a companion?" she asked, tilting her head. "Then I have never met a man who has a wolf as a companion."

"Are you sure you're alright, miss?" the man asked again and she nodded. "I couldn't help but hear the muffled sobs."

"This is where my father is buried," she replied quietly, gesturing to the small tree. "I come here when I wish I could talk to him." She glanced back at the man when she noticed a dead stag behind him and his wolf. "You're a Huntsman." The Huntsman nodded. "Enjoy the rest of your day, Mr. Huntsman."

"Miss, I never got your name."

She turned back to him and gave a small smile. "Elizabeth." She paused. "Elizabeth Colter."

⸻ ✧ ✠ ✧ ⸻

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐇𝐀𝐌 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 woods when he heard a distant wolf howl. He looked around when Mr. Gold suddenly appeared behind him. "Good morning, Sheriff," Mr. Gold greeted the man. "Sorry if I startled you."

"Right. Sorry," Graham said, shaking his head. "I—I thought you were a wolf."

"Did I forget to shave?"

"What are you doing out here so early?" Graham asked the shop owner.

"A spot of gardening," he replied with a shrug. "Yourself?"

"I was looking for..."

"A wolf," Mr. Gold finished with a nod. "Yeah, I think I've been able to catch on. You know, to the best of my knowledge there are no wolves in Storybrooke. Not the literal kind, anyway. Why are you looking?"

Graham shook his head. "You'll think I'm crazy."

"Try me."

"I saw one in my dreams and then I saw one for real," Graham replied with a shrug. "Just a few hours ago. Did you—Did you see anything unusual right there?"

Mr. Gold glanced down at his shovel. "I'm afraid not," he answered. "I do wish I could be more helpful." He started past Graham when he paused. "You know, Sheriff, they say that dreams... dreams are memories... memories of another life."

"W—What do you believe?"

Mr. Gold shrugged. "I never rule out anything. Good luck, Sheriff. I do hope you'll find what you're looking for."

Elizabeth walked into her mother's room in the Palace when she stopped, hearing the Evil Queen's voice. "He's perfect. Bring him to me." She quickly hid behind a wall as a guard exited the room. She peered around the wall and saw an image of the Huntsman in her mother's mirror.

Graham was still walking through the woods in search of the wolf he had seen when he heard another wolf howl in the distance. He looked around and caught a glimpse of the wolf's fur. The animal stood still for a moment and faced the Sheriff.

"What do you want?" he asked the wolf who began to turn and run away. "Hey!" Graham whistled making the wolf turn back and approach the man. Graham laid a hand on the wolf's head and he looked at him.

"You cannot do this!" Elizabeth exclaimed, following after the Huntsman through the woods. "I don't care what my mother said, this is wrong!"

"I must, Elizabeth!" the Huntsman insisted and the girl shook her head in denial. "I'm very sorry. I know she's your stepsister."