Chapter 19: A Sister's Anger

Începe de la început

"Why are you doing this? Threatening your own brother for...for these two?" The prince asked in disbelief.

"I...I am doing this for love," Eleanor answers.

Kenric had never been more in awe of a woman, Archie too. Kenric was wrong to mistake the princess as someone weak and helpless. She proved herself to be quite the strong and resourceful one. And for the lack of a better way to explain it, she was saving their asses.

"We will talk about this when we get home," Edward spoke.

"You better fucking keep your hands off her unless you want me and my army at your doorstep," Kenric stated firmly.

There was no telling what would transpire between the siblings once they returned home, but Kenric feared for Princess Eleanor's safety. She not only revealed that she knew the truth about Edward, but also spoke of it in front of his so-called enemies. So the least he could do was show the blond that Kenric had Eleanor's back.

But now that both Kenric and Edward knew equally damaging secrets about each other, he was hoping that there would be a mutual understanding that they need to keep their mouths shut.

"We leave tomorrow morning at sunrise," Edward muttered before storming out of the room. Kenric was not surprised that the prince wanted to leave as soon as possible. If anything, he was glad.

Not like he was going to be missed.

"Eleanor..." Kenric began, not knowing what to say to the woman. "Thank you."

The princess nodded, as she looked between Kenric and Archie. She seemed a bit troubled. Uncomfortable, too. Neither of the men held it against her, though. They knew that what they had was considered... unnatural. And they could not expect everyone to be as okay with it as Godric or Sir Christian were. At the very least, she was not running around screaming about how they were partaking in blasphemy.

"He needed someone to bring him down a notch or two," Eleanor finally replied after a moment of silence.

"If you and...your beloved ever need a place to stay, then the castle will always be open to you. You will be safe here," Kenric said.

"You cannot possibly make that vow," Eleanor retorted with a soft frown.

"I am a man of my word," Kenric stated. "And I owe you this much."

"Well," the princess cleared her throat as she nodded. "I will keep it in mind, then, and hope that it never comes to that."

"Good."

Eleanor was staring at the two men again, before her eyes moved down to their adjoining hands. Archie wanted to pull away under her sharp gaze, but he held his ground as he took a step closer to Kenric instead. Kenric tilted his head to glance at Archie, passing him a tender smile.

"I stand by what I said, Prince Kenric," she paused. "You are a good man, and you deserve somebody that makes you happy. Whoever that person may be."

With that, the princess turned around and left.

***

Unfortunately, both the men had to return to the hall. Kenric had his duties as the prince, whereas Archie had to be on service. Prince Edward acted as if nothing had gone down, chatting up people and being his usual charming self. However, he did call it an early night after informing the King that he would be leaving for home earlier than planned.

Godric did not attempt to stop him, of course. He gave Kenric a look as if telling him that he needed to know what made Prince Edward change his mind all of a sudden. Kenric could not help but smirk, he knew his brother would have a field day when he learned that Edward was the bastard son of King Alfred's late wife, and did not have a rightful claim to the throne.