When Pixie Popped the Question

Începe de la început

Wait, what?

"He told you about me?"

"Yes, a while back. But he totally didn't mean to, he was so drunk," she laughed again. "He doesn't ever talk to me about women but that night..."

She told me about the night Özgür poured his heart out. "And that's how I knew my brother had fallen in love. He had no idea though, the big dummy. I tried to tell him but he was in denial. Probably thought he had acid reflux or something." She shrugged, unaware of the bomb she had just dropped. I got up and stared at her in shock.

"But that was before he even knew my name," I protested. "I didn't tell him my name," I said frantically. "We hooked up a few times and then I left him." I realized what I confessed and turned red.

"I swear I am not as slutty as I sound," I moaned, chagrined.

"Oh, please. I know my brother," she rolled her eyes. "He could seduce a nun if he set his mind to it so no judgment from me."

"But he couldn't have been in love with me then," I spluttered miserably.

"Love sneaks up on you. One minute you're going about your life and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without your person. There's very little that's logical about it." She smiled as if speaking from experience. "I don't know what's going on now but he came here and..." She paused and then got up, seeming to rethink her words. "He was not himself," she said simply.

"I hurt him," I whispered. "I wish I could say it's the hormones but apparently I have the emotional fluency of a house plant."

"But you're here now," she said. "Just...be gentle with him. I know he acts like this confident indestructible man but he feels very deeply. And don't worry about Mom. She has a lot of issues but she'll come around. Özgür will deal with her in the meantime."

She hugged me again. "We are going to be best friends," she declared and I hugged her back. She was too much like her brother for me not to adore her. "I'll leave you to "rest," she said, making air quotes and winking outrageously before leaving.

I stared at the door and wondered where Özgür was staying. Did I dare to go looking for him? The thought of opening a door and finding his mother made me stop in my tracks. I dropped onto the bed again and listened for his footsteps but my weariness overtook me and I fell into an exhausted slumber.

**********
A slight noise woke me up. I sat up in bed and immediately realized I wasn't alone. Özgür leaned against the wall by the closed door. I squinted through the darkness trying to make out his expression. Before I could speak, his deep voice rumbled through the stillness.

"Why did you come here?" His voice sounded gruff and unaffected but he couldn't disguise the thread of longing in the question.

"I came to see you," I said, my heart in my throat. I got up from the bed. He straightened away from the wall slowly.

"Why?" He insisted.

"Because I missed you," I whispered.

"You missed me?" The hopeful note in his voice made my heart twist.

I nodded, afraid to speak. He reached me for me at that moment and the relief that flooded me was so intense that a sob ripped from my throat and a dam broke.

"I missed you so-so much. and then you left me food and it made me cry and I got angry with my boss and told him to stick his job where the sun doesn't shine and I have to pee constantly. I'm always hungry and nothing fits and then I yelled at your mom!" I wailed against his chest.

"Ah, Pix. It's okay. I'm here now. Don't cry, baby," he whispered, gathering me into his arms. Whispering nonsensical things into my hair, his arms banded around me tightly and it felt so good.