PROLOGUE

ALISHA loves the dark

ALISHA loves the dark. Weird right? Ever since she was young, whenever she felt like absolute shit, she would sit in her room in the dark, Metallica blasting through her headphones. It brought her comfort she failed to receive from her dysfunctional family.

And here she is, in the dark listening to Metallica. Alisha's eyes open every other second as she frantically tries to erase her "step-mother's" words from her head. You think you are one of us? You don't belong here. Who would want a terrorist in their home? You dir-

BANG BANG

Alisha bolts up and rips her headphones out of her ears as her dad bursts through her door, opening her lights, "Alisha, get up and pack essentials. And only essentials. And your knife.", he grabs her basketball duffle-bag and throws it on her bed. Alisha stands up and faces her dad with her mood growing as anxious as his, "Dad wha-"

Giovanni faces Alisha and grabs her shoulders, "The contagion. It's worse. Much fucking worse". Before she has the chance to say anything him, he leaves calling her younger siblings.

Alisha knew about the contagion, but she didn't think much of it, trapped in her 17 year old mind,  only thinking about two things; basketball and college. She breaks out of her trance and starts packing clothes, undergarments, toiletries, of-course her iPod and as she starts zipping her bag up, from the corner of her eye, she sees her camouflage pocket knife her dad gave her when she was 13 staring right at her. Waiting to be picked up. She hesitates for a second, Would I really need this? Her thoughts fight with each other, until she huffs and takes the knife.

Rushing downstairs she is greeted by her younger siblings, Natalia and Lorenzo, along with her dad and stepmother, Sydney. Her dad carries a shot gun along with bag full of other guns he randomly has. "Dad, whats with the guns?". Giovanni gives her a look and rushes everyone to the car in the garage. 

"Dad, I am scared," Natalia says with tears in her eyes gripping on Giovanni's sleeve. "It'll be okay baby, we are together and that's all that matters", Giovanni says as he opens the garage, and the family is met with chaos all around their streets. People screaming, cars everywhere, and something else everywhere; blood. Lorenzo wraps an arm around his younger sister , trying to shield her eyes. "What the hell?" Sydney mutters as she pushes her two blood kids toward the car, purposely avoiding her tall brown step-daughter.

Suppressing an eye, Alisha turns to her Dad, "I can't leave Ammi, Dad we have to pick her up". Giovanni shakes his head as he takes any weapon he can find in the garage, "Honey, we can't, all we can focus on is getting out of here. Now help me get some weapons or anything that could kill something". So focused on her mother, Alisha ignores the last bit and furrows her eyebrows, "So what? We just leave her? Leave my mom?," despite her anger at her father , she still looks for so called 'weapons'.

Her dad sighs as he looks at his oldest daughter who stands at 6'3, the same height as him. He can always see through his babygirl, no matter how closed off and snarky she's been lately, all he sees is that scared little girl he had to always sing to sleep. "Alisha, it's too dangerous. I'm sorry".