Chapter 16 - Jo hoga dekha jayega (2)

Start from the beginning

Sheetal nodded understandingly, "Aman must have told you that I had no problem in acting to be your girlfriend in front of your family. So yeah, I just did my part. I hope I was good at convincing everyone that I'm indeed your girlfriend."

"Yeah, and seriously, thank you so much for accepting to be a part of this stupid plan of mine. But you don't need to act anymore as my girlfriend,"

"Matlab?" Sheetal looked at him confused.

"It means I don't want to live like this by lying to my family and friends. Also, the girl I thought I was in love with, I'm not really in love with her anymore.. I mean, it's too complicated, and before things just get more messy, we better end this now," Arnav said. He was himself confused with his explanation, but the main point he wanted to convey to Sheetal is that he doesn't want to be a part of this facade anymore.

"Uh, okay," Sheetal nodded. Arnav noticed her expressions were of someone who wasn't pleased to hear his decision. And he wondered why the sudden change of expressions on her face.

"What will you explain to your family if they ask about me?" she asked.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll manage," he said.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

Arnav blinked his eyes assuringly. Sheetal nodded and waved at him as they finally reached downstairs at the parking lot area, "Okay then, bye. Thanks once again."

"You're welcome," he smiled politely, waving back at her and at Sheetal's mother, who was watching them from the car, before he walked back upstairs to his home.

*****************************************

Arnav and Ayan's room:

Arnav and Ayan were collecting their bags to leave after having their breakfast, when Ayan halted on his step in shock after hearing Arnav's reply to his question, 'What are you going to do now bhai?'

"I will tell the truth to Khushi," Arnav replied in a no-nonsense tone.

"What? No bhai. You can't tell the truth to Khushi didi. She will distance herself from you," Ayan cried.

"I've no other option, Ayan. Also, I've learned my lesson the hard way. I should have never lied to our family that I've a girlfriend only to avoid Nani and Mami from keeping an eye on me and Khushi," Arnav explained, "And you too, learn from your elder brother's mistake to not repeat them again in your life. Never lie to anyone and be very careful of the words that come out of your mouth when you talk with others in the heat of the moment. The words spoken out of anger and frustration have the power to break someone's heart, and it's really difficult to repair the pieces of a broken heart."

Ayan nodded his head sadly. He hugged his brother tightly, shutting his eyes, "I'm sorry, bhai. Ye sab mere wajah se hua (this all happened because of me). If I hadn't lied to Nani and Ma that Sheetal is your girlfriend, then -"

"Shh," Arnav hugged him back, patting his head affectionately, "It's not your fault, Ayan. You did everything you could to save me. It's only because of you that I got to spend quality time with Khushi without being watched and disturbed by Nani and Mami's constant tauntings. The fault is actually mine. Being the elder and mature one here, I should have acted more maturely instead of accepting to be a part of this plan. I should have known that in the future, this plan could backfire on me only."

*****************************************

Arnav dropped Ayan at his school first, then he drove to Khushi's college. The whole driving journey was filled with silence from both sides. It was only when they reached Khushi's college that Arnav parked the car near the gate and asked her to give him a few minutes as he needed to talk with her urgently.