The Boy with a Stolen Pajama

Start from the beginning

Despite their undeniable struggles, I found myself harboring a sense of resentment, a feeling I knew was unjustified. It wasn't the fault of these kids; they were victims of circumstances beyond their control. My unjustified animosity stemmed from the toxic attitudes of my friends and their families. Witnessing these people treating the slum kids as if they were somehow inferior fueled a superiority complex within me, contributing to a cycle of prejudice and resentment that was difficult to break. It was a rhythm of injustice that, despite my better judgment, I found myself caught up in.

Within my group of friends, an unjust dislike started to grow towards the kids from the slum, especially under Advait's influence. He seemed unaware of the challenges these children faced daily and treated them dismissively, as if they were unimportant. Their parents played crucial roles in our households, doing tasks similar to maids or servants, yet a significant social gap existed. Influenced by my father's esteemed standing in town, I mistakenly developed a sense of superiority.

Advait consistently expressed negative opinions about these people, highlighting what he perceived as their flaws. The unsettling reality hit me — despite my father providing them with employment, deep-seated biases linked to caste and class persisted. Unintentionally, I found myself contributing to the unjust treatment of these individuals, swept along by societal prejudices.

As time passed, Advait's words became a constant whisper in my ears, gradually shaping my own views. The initial dislike I harbored transformed into a more profound resentment. His negative sentiments seeped into my thoughts, influencing how I perceived and interacted with the kids from the slum. My feelings towards them began to mirror the unfounded animosity that Advait projected, and my actions inadvertently reflected this growing resentment.

It became a vicious cycle — the more I heard negative comments, the more my own feelings of dislike grew. The seeds of animosity planted by words took root and flourished in the fertile ground of my impressionable mind. This unfortunate influence became evident in the way I spoke and behaved, a reflection of the poisonous sentiments that had taken hold.

My dad was more than just someone in my life; he was the guy who brought warmth and comfort with him. Whenever he said he was going shopping with a friend, it got me excited. These shopping trips weren't just about buying stuff; they were chances for surprises, for finding cool things like new toys and chocolates. As a kid, those simple joys, discovered while tagging along with him, left lasting memories in my heart.

But life doesn't always happen the way we want. On one occasion, with everything going on and his friend with him, my dad had to say no to me joining. It was disappointing, and I went to a quiet spot to think about it.

In that sad moment, my dad, being caring and understanding, saw I was upset. His comforting look said a lot, like he knew how much I wanted to go. Trying to make me feel better, he promised to bring back something special — a small but meaningful gesture that showed his love and understanding.

Even though I felt a bit disappointed at first, my dad's talent for turning regular moments into special memories stayed the same. His presence, always a source of comfort, showed what a parent could do to make everyday things feel magical.

When my dad got back from shopping, my eyes lit up with joy, eager to see what he had. I imagined unwrapping a big, special toy that'd make me super happy. But surprise, he didn't have a big box with him, making me wonder.

I waited eagerly for my gift, and then he called, 'Siddharth, come here, I have something for you.' Without thinking, I rushed to him, feeling the excitement in the air. I imagined getting a cool toy that'd make me jump with joy.

But things turned out differently. In his hands, my dad had a box, but it wasn't a toy — it was a new pair of pajamas. Pajamas? It was different from what I expected, and I felt a bit confused. The excitement I had before turned into disappointment and sadness.