─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

It was now early in the morning. You guys were still driving on a very cracked, very rugged desert-like road. Frypan was at the wheel, but Thomas had been replaced by Newt with you in the back. Your head was in his lap as you felt his fingers brush through your sandy hair.

"Good morning, beautiful," he greeted in a soft voice as you turned to look up at him. Even from this weird angle his hair still shone golden in the sunlight and his face was as handsome as ever. You gave him a smile.

"Good morning, Newtie." To which the boy swears his heart had melted right then and there. And this was his reason and standing for survival. This had kept him going so long already and would until his last breath. His heart alighted like a candle held to flame as he gazed softly down at you.

You reached up to brush some of his hair behind his ear. It has grown long in the six months of traversing the harsh landscape. You liked it this way, but still he could use a haircut. So could you.

He cupped your hand beside his cheek, and leaned down to kiss you for a moment as the two boys in the front talked about the signs they had just seen regarding what was ahead of them. You leaned into the kiss for a moment before pulling yourself up to sit straight.

The talk of the signs had piqued your interest as they discussed something about the virus.

"Not going to lie, guys, but that place looks like somewhere we shouldn't be driving," you admitted. Pointing at all the signs and fencing surrounding the tunnel.

"Yeah, if I was a crank that's exactly where I'd be," Newt said getting out of the car. Frypan just looked around, probably not wanting to drive through there either while Thomas analyzed the map.

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Thomas admits. It was hard to argue with him as getting around would be far more difficult even if the vehicle you were driving could go off road. Sand wasn't fun to drive on as you had experienced when Frypan fell asleep earlier that morning and Thomas had to take over to let him get some sleep.

"I get shotgun," Newt decides. He walks back to the car shaking his head. You knew this wasn't a good idea. "C'mon love!" Newt calls and you shoot him a confused look. "You're riding with me," Newt orders.

You were too scared to be flustered that you were currently sitting on Newt's lap as the car steadily drove through the dark tunnel. Thomas had his arms crossed in the backseat and was currently pouting while also keeping watch for potential danger. You thought that riding up front with Newt was completely unnecessary but his hands on your waist told your heart otherwise.

The car jostled and splashed through puddles as your nervousness grew.

"There's no way this tunnel is unoccupied, guys we should go back. This is a horrible idea," you whispered.

"It'll be okay, love," Newt whispers back and squeezes your waist in reassurance. You clutched onto your gun tighter still.

As you drove towards some obstructive objects which was a car in the middle of the tunnel, Frypan said, "Well here we go."

You drove straight as Newt held the flashlight telling Fry to take it slow.

The car jolted to a short stop as what appeared to be a humanoid thing was standing in front of the car and Newt's flashlight. It coughed. A guttural, throat- clenching, rasp came from the creature. It was not human anymore.

"It's okay. It's just one so take it slow, go around him. We'll be fine," Thomas said to a very unsure-looking Fry.  He put his hand on your shoulder which you put your opposite hand on top of. It made you feel a tad safer, but you still knew what everyone else knew. There were definitely more, and something was going to go down.

You remembered the time you were chased by the cranks with Thomas and Brenda, you did not want to experience it again. You shuddered and Thomas gripped your shoulder further as he instructed Fry to drive slow. The creaky rolling up of the window beside you blocked out some of the horror of outside. But when you looked to the window beside Thomas after hearing a soft tapping you jumped.

Newt grabbed you by the waist, "Woah! Woah, woah, calm down, love." The woman was deathly pale and she looked like she had gone mad. Her teeth were rotting and through the stained muddy window you saw the way her eyes never once blinked.

She pleaded for help, as another slammed themselves onto the back right window. More and more appeared each more ghastly of an appearance than the previous. Frypan immediately slammed on the gas and sped forward as one jumped onto the hood right in front of you. Newt held you close as the window shattered like a baseball had hit it. But it was no baseball, it was a monster's fist.

Frypan swerved trying to get the creature off, and you were flung from Newt's embrace before the car rolled over onto its roof. You coughed and spluttered as warm liquid rolled down your face. Maybe it was tears, maybe it was blood, you couldn't tell.

Thomas got out first, kicking open the window and walking around to get Newt's door open as well. Newt crawled out before tugging you with him.

"C'mon y/n! Hurry up!" you could slightly hear the ghastly screams of the monster over your own ears ringing. You stood up shakily as Newt grabbed your hand, backing you up behind him. He was going to protect you from this thing.

The monster came hurtling toward you as Fry tried to get something out of the car. He turned to the monster and shot it. It fell to the ground in a horribly bent way as more began running after the four of you. The flashlights were attracting them, you thought before your vision turned hazy.

"Y/N! Come on!" Thomas yelled. You tried to mumble a 'sorry' as the monsters got so close you could smell the rotting flesh on them. You didn't think you were going to make it. But at least you died trying to save Minho. Trying to help the world.

Then, a car drove through the horde and right up next to you as you heard a familiar voice.

It would all be okay, you guessed. Someone had come to rescue you.

______________

1749 words (unedited)