Not that I was looking of course.

"What are you doing here rulebook?"

"Part of our deal was that you would do your homework. You haven't been attending classes, so it's only fair to assume that you also haven't done any assignments."

I roll my eyes. Sometimes I forget that this boy is also the class captain and very strict with rule breakers.

"So you came all the way to my house to make me... do my homework?"

He nods, his eyes shifting from my face to look around my room. I follow his gaze.

Now before I start describing my room, cut me some slack. I didn't know I was going to be having a visitor, and I've been very busy working on some art projects, so I haven't had the time to really tidy up. And it's pretty obvious. Papers are scattered everywhere, there's some sort of blue paint spilled on the floor, my bed is covered in clothes, my uniform discarded in a pile near the door. My work table is buried under a mountain of crumpled paper from my discarded ideas. There are some pieces of my artwork hung up on the wall, but that's about it.

"Maybe we'll just go downstairs", I suggest, and Aaron nods. Grab my bag, and trudge down the stairs, Aaron following behind me. I would love to turn him out, but we had a deal, which means that I have to do my assignments.

My dad pokes his head out of the kitchen as we get down.

"Hello", he says to Aaron, and then turning to me he says, "He said that it was important for him to see you, so I let him into your room. I hope nothing is wrong?"

"Actually- "

"Nothing is wrong here Mr Barnes", Aaron cuts in giving a little bow. "I just came here to help her through some of her assignments that we were given in school"

My dad looks at me with an eyebrow raised in surprise.

"Aaron and I have a bet", I clarify "and part of the bet is that I do all my homework so..."

"of course of course", my dad nods, smiling at both of us. "Well, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me.", and with that he pops his head back into the kitchen leaving me alone with Aaron.

I make my way towards the dining room table and set my bag down on the seat by my left while Aaron takes the seat by my right.

"Your dad is pretty chill", Aaron comments as he rummages through his things, presumably for his notebook. "He didn't even complain that I came to your house unannounced. My parents will kill me if I did that", he muses.

"Well my dad is just as you said – he's really chill. What about your parents?"

As I ask, I realize that I don't know anything about Aaron's family life. Is he an only child? Does he have siblings? A pet? I instantly ask him all these questions, and he shakes his head.

"We aren't going to get sidetracked here Kay. I came to make sure that you do your homework."

I groan and he gives a grin.

"How about we make a deal. For every assignment that you do, I'll answer one question of your choice."

"Only one?", I pout and he nods.

"Take it or leave it"

I think on it for a moment.

"It's a deal"

🏈🏈🏈

One hour, five assignments and four questions later, Aaron puts away the last book and gives me a grin. We have successfully finished all the week's assignments and I am feeling very proud of myself. Aaron is a very good teacher and, with his help, I was able to catch up on all the work that I had missed.