Chapter 671: The new sun has set (5)

Start from the beginning

When it had told Cale about the God of Death last time... The World Tree had just told Cale to be wary of the God of Death and not to trust him, but, as an existence that could see almost everything, it had been able to read the vicious intent rising from the black Dragon and the black-haired human. Cale did not know about that because he had had his eyes shut.

– ...Good luck.

That was the only thing the World Tree could say to him.

"Huuuuuu."

Cale let out a short sigh and nodded his head.

I will accept your dagger for now, World Tree-nim."

– Mm.

– Haaa.

The ancient powers all sighed or groaned, but they could not oppose Cale's decision.

The World Tree had given Cale its greatest power, and Cale had no choice but to accept it.

– Okay. I know you are busy so go on.

"Yes, ma'am, I will see you nex, ah-."

Cale was saying goodbye when he realized something and asked.

"There is something I am curious about."

– What is it?

Cale had asked a question he had had once he learned about the single-lifers and the other concepts.

"Was the God of Death a tribulator as well?"

It was at that moment.

"Mm?!"

Boobooboooooooooom-

The ground underneath Cale and the entire Elf Village surrounding the World Tree shook as if they had received a great shock.

He soon heard the World Tree's voice.

– ...That... is not something I can answer.

"I see."

Cale felt iffy after hearing its oddly hesitant response.

"I guess your answer is something that won't do me any good, even if I knew."

– Who knows?

Cale felt even iffier after hearing the World Tree's next response. That was why he made up his mind.

'It's probably better for me not to know.'

It was none of his business whether the God of Death was a tribulator or not. Cale firmly made up his mind.

"Then I will be on my way now."

– Okay. Take the dagger with you.

"Yes, ma'am."

Craaaack-

Cale heard something that sounded like glass breaking as he opened his eyes. The tip of the black and white root started to separate and turn into the shape of a dagger's blade.

Cale reached his hands out toward the tip of the root that was falling off.

Plop.

The root dagger fell into his hands. Cale pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and wrapped the dagger before putting it away.

He then thought about the order of things he needed to do now.

"I guess I can go back after chatting with Count Hubesha."

* * *

"...That was fast."

Count Hubesha had a bitter smile on her face as she looked toward Cale, who was walking in between the whirlwind on top of the lake at a distance.