Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was early dawn, and the sun was sneaking above the eastern skyline burning away the fog that usually lingered for several hours each morning.  The air had the scent of seawater, and still felt cool, but it was getting warmer with each passing day.  Sirus took a deep breath feeling invigorated.  His mind opened up, and his senses became more acute, as he glanced around, and took in the beauty that surrounded him.  The distant sound of the ocean surf pounding the rocky beaches, the blue sky showing through the evaporating fog, the distant green hills with their newly sprouted grass, and the sound of sea birds calling to each other as they traversed the skies sparked something deep with in the recesses of Sirus’s mind.  For a brief instance, Sirus took in everything that surrounded him as if it were a single passing thought.  He saw himself standing among and talking with the Delriven.  Then for an instant, he saw his past, his present, and he knew his future, but as quickly as this strange sensation came it passed like a dream that one struggles to remember but can’t.

Sirus shook off the strange sensation as if he were in a trance.  He had spent the night getting all his gear ready for the march to Dolson’s Regiment.  Sirus picked up his pack and weapons and headed to the north end of the training camp where Captain Porter would take command of their march.  Officers lined Sirus and other soldiers up accourding to their rank and assigned duties.  Sirus was placed next to soldiers who he assumed were also assigned as runners.  He looked around, but didn’t recognize anyone, and suddenly felt alone.

After all the soldiers were in position Captain Porter stood on a make shift platform so all could see.  Captain Porter called them to attention.  “Men this company will be marching to join the regiment of Commander Dolson.  Is there anyone of you here that shouldn’t be?”  Captain Porter asked in a stern voice, loud enough so everyone could hear.  Nobody moved so Captain Porter continued after spitting off to his side.  “ our journey will not be as dangerous as the other companies, but will have its risks none the less.  We will be traveling much further than the other companies, and the terrain will be much more difficult.  We will be marching through the heart of the Lowland Desert where the day is hotter than hell, and will dry your spit before it hits the ground,” he declared spitting into the dirt to emphasize his point.  “And the nights are just as cold and as bitter as King Penpeli’s darkest dungeon.  We hill be taking the most western route north and will meet up with Commander Dolson’s Regiment, which is based abourt  miles north of Buck’s Stop, Where their strategic objectives are to maintain control of the mountan passes.  We will also be setting up defensive camps each night, because we will be dilivering valuable and needed supplies.  We don’t expect any problems, but there is a threat of enemy attacks.  Let me repeat this:  there is a threat of enemy attacks.  So I don’t want any of you soldiers to be resting on your laurels.  Just pay attention to your officers, and do what you are told and you’ll be alright,” Captain Porter finished with another spit off to the side.  Captain Porter climbed off the plat form and Sirus watched him confer with some officers.  The soon mounted their horses and the next hing he knew they were marching out of the training camp and were on their way.  It was all to fast for Sirus.  Just as he was getting comfortable in his present surroundings, he was leaving it and his brothers behind, and it didn’t feel good.

The first few days of their march went without incident.  Sirus estimated that they were probaly traveling somewhere between 15 and 20 miles each day. 

Being young and in the best shape of his life, he found he actually enjoyed the long days of walking.  They would often march to rhythm of a song or poem they would sing on the way.  This seemed to help him breathe easier and cover long distances, at a steady pace, with the least amount of energy being expelled, and it helped keep his spirits up.  The part of the journey Sirus dreaded the most was setting up the defensive camps each night.  After long day’s march with a small pack and weapons, they would spend the next several hours digging in, and setting up earth barricakes strategically circling the encampment.  The soldiers would sleep against their own barracades, so in case of attack they would already be in position to defend and fight.  The officers and supply wagons would be positioned in the middle of the camp.  It was hard work.  Sirus wasn’t afraid of hard work, it was just that he didn’t look forward to it after a long days march.  However, some of the camps they would stay at had already been ‘dug in’ from previous companies of soldiers.  It was those evenings Sirus was silently grateful, and each day he secretly hoped they wouldn’t have to dig in their own camp.