⁴³, JAILBREAK

Comincia dall'inizio

  "I'm not gonna let that happen."

  "The best case scenario, we step out into a hell storm of bullets, fire, and walkers. I'm not fleet of foot, and I sure can't take a dead one down with sharp buttons and hella confidence."

  "Yeah," Michonne said, "But we can. And we will."

  "You don't owe us anything," Sasha said, "Not yet. But we just want to hear it."

  "You don't have to."

 It was silent for a long moment. Honestly, Vex wasn't sure if she needed to hear it or not-- if she even wanted to. Part of her wanted to stay in the dark-- if there really was a cure, and Eugene could make it to wherever he needed to go, she'd know once the world went back to normal. Until then, it was just a strand of hope to hang onto; and that wasn't always a good thing.

  "I was part of a 10-person team at the Human Genome Project to weaponize diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire," Eugene explained. "Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made, information shared. I am keenly aware of all the details behind fail-safe delivery systems to kill every living person on this planet. I believe with a little tweaking on the terminals in DC, we can flip the script. Take out every last dead one of them. Fire with fire. . . All things being equal, it does sound pretty badass."

  To Vex, it sounded like Eugene had a hunch about some second hand information-- but she didn't know shit about science, so she didn't say anything.

  "Let's get back to work."

  They followed Maggie's words, but only for a moment, as Rick Grimes pulled the train car door open and ordered the group to fight to the fence.

  "V, Zep, come on!"

  Vex ushered Zeppelin toward Dean, who other than some blood splattered on him, seemed unharmed. The girl moved in pace with her uncle, while Vex lingered, ensuring everyone got out before she followed.

  "Come on, Williams, no laggin' behind."

  Vex grinned at Daryl's order-- despite the gunfire, the walkers, and the smoke.

  She matched his pace, covering the rear of the group as they made their way to the fence line. 

  Vex hung back as the group began climbing over the fence, picking off walkers as they approached.

  "Come on, let's go!"

  The woman elbowed Rick, the two turning toward the fence quickly.

  Vex continued shooting, only halted when Daryl's hand grabbed the back of her jacket and yanked her toward him.

  "Dixon--"

  "Get your ass over the fence!"

  Vex knew there was no time to argue, so she allowed Daryl to help her over the fence, the man bolstering her until she hopped over the side.

  She let out a sharp breath as she felt the wound on her thigh scrape the top of the fence, even through the cloth Rosita had laid down. Landing on the leg did little to help it.

  Daryl hopped over after her, instantly ducking under her arm and helping her walk deeper into the forest, to where Rick had buried a bag.

  "The hell are we still around here for?" Abraham asked, approaching the man as he started digging.

  "Guns, some supplies," Rick said, "Go along the fences, use the rifles. Take out the rest of 'em."

  "What?"