【16】The Back Room

Start from the beginning

"I'm not used to this, Mila—opening up, sharing... But I'm getting there. I just need you to be patient."

As I looked up in his cerulean eyes, I saw the plea in them. He meant all that, and he was genuinely trying to make this thing between us work. Ever since that day at the airport, I'd grown more and more confident that it could. But now, for the first time, I doubted it. He had his demons and past looming over his present, and they had never felt so potent. I wanted to believe he was all worth it, but in all truth, I wasn't sure.

But what if he was? What if trusting him now and ignoring the alarms going off in my head led to the most incredible adventure of my life? We were so utterly compatible in many aspects—our interest in history, our matching intellects, our sexual harmony... He was the most interesting person I'd ever met, and I'd met a plethora of riveting people through my work and studies. With him by my side, life could never be boring, and every day would bring its share of intrigue and unique endeavors.

And this was the price for it. Turning a blind eye to his secrets. Right now.

I hated this with all my heart. I was a curious person by nature, and my work pushed me toward uncovering hidden and forgotten truths even more. So, agreeing to his terms went against my entire being. But the rewards for it were unfathomable.

In our lifetime, we're all subjected to a few decisions that can alter the entire course of our future. One wrong choice, and it all turns into something entirely different from what could have been. This felt like one of those moments where my future could lead to two very different paths, depending on what I chose.

But if I was being honest, I didn't really have a choice. Not when I was wrapped in his mesmerizing embrace, lost in his eyes, surrounded by the clean and compelling scent of him. He already had too much power over me, and the mere thought of ending things over some stupid secrets felt terribly wrong. Ulrik had turned me into a pathetic simp, and the cocktails only played in his favor.

I wanted him in so many different ways.

Because it was the only way I could think of to make all the noise in my head stop, I reached up for his nape and pulled him down to kiss him. Maybe we were doomed, and maybe this very moment was the beginning of our downfall. But I would be stupid to end it all together. This man's potential outweighed the risks ten times over.

Ulrik was hesitant at first, his hands frozen at our sides while I kissed him feverishly. Maybe he wanted to talk this out rather than let our bodies speak for themselves, but I didn't. I was too intoxicated to have such a serious talk, and it wouldn't matter anyway. I was already trapped, already falling for the man despite his walls and secrets.

When finally, his hands came to rest on my back, his powerful arms enveloping me in their warmth, I relaxed another degree and deepened our kiss. This we were good at—great at, even.

The sense of familiarity that took over as we got lost in one another chased away all other thoughts. As always when we got intimate, I forgot about everything that wasn't him or this very moment.

My fingers clutched the silky fabric of his shirt at the opening of his collar, and I pulled him closer, shoving a bold tongue in his mouth, licking with eagerness. His hand lowered to my behind, and he gripped the soft mound with matching intensity. The electric sparks that flew within me made me moan in our kiss, my legs trembling with the need that was rapidly drawing between them. Our sensual dance in the pit had left me wet and needy, and this kiss was now the final blow to my resolve.

As he angled his face to the side to deepen our kiss, I was reminded of his car and how I planned on having sex in it. But even that felt too far away, and the thick curtains that isolated us from the rest of the backroom looked like enough. They probably weren't, but between the booze and the lust, I couldn't find a reason to care. I probably wouldn't set foot in this place again because if I was being honest with myself, this thing with Ulrik would most likely be nothing more than a flash fire, brief, intense, and leaving nothing behind but our scorched souls. But I would embrace this heat while it lasted and let it burn me all the way to my bones.

Never halting our kiss, I pushed back against him until he hit the cushioned sofa behind him. "Sit," I ordered, planting my nails in his broad shoulders as I pushed him down.

"Mila, let's go back to my pl—"

"No, I need you now."

I pushed against him hard enough to make him tilt back and fall on the seat. Before he could say or do anything, I moved to straddle him, lifting my dress in the process and setting my knees on each side of him.

He repeated my name, but I stole the rest with my lips, kissing him with intensity once more. I could hear the other people around us and perceive bits and pieces of their conversations, but I didn't care. To hell if they heard. And because of that damn bracelet, they already knew I belonged to him, didn't they?

My tongue was playfully licking the contours of his lush lips when my hands traveled south to the fastening of his pants between us. He groaned but didn't fight me when I unbuckled his belt, and when I popped the button open, he gripped my ass hard.

"Mila, this is reckless..." he protested as I slid the zipper down.

My hand entered his underwear, and I firmly circled his hardening shaft. "You're telling me people never fuck in here?"

I didn't even need his silent confirmation. The alcoves, the drapes, the music, the dimmed lights... This place was basically designed for sex, and I doubted we'd even be the first one doing it tonight.

His jaw clenched, his eyes rolling back slightly as I massaged his erection, tightening my grip at his tip. "Promise you won't discard me like this ever again," I demanded, using my thumb to spread the droplets of precum that seeped from his tip.

"Kjære, I didn't mean to—"

"No. No excuses," I cut him. My hand journeyed lower, and I grabbed his balls, squeezing them tightly enough to make him flinch. "If you want me in your life, you have to do better. I'm not some relic you can play with and discard at will. If you're with me, be with me."

I felt very spicy at that moment, very resilient and strong—maybe too much. But he had to understand that I wasn't going to let him fail over and over. Not after everything he'd already put me through.

"I promise," he professed, wrapping a soft hand around my wrist to silently encourage me to let go. His thumb caressed the tender skin, his eyes meeting mine with fervor, and I loosened my grip. "I promise I won't take you for granted again, skatt. You're a fucking goddess, and I won't forget it anytime soon."

"Fuck yeah, I am," I muttered before retaking his lips.