【16】The Back Room

Start from the beginning

Ulrik's grip on my arm didn't falter as he guided me through the lavish expanse. The air was thick with tension, and I could feel the weight of our argument lingering between us. As we reached one of the private alcoves, Ulrik pulled the drapes closed with a swift motion, effectively shutting out the outside world.

The secluded space cocooned us in a world of our own, a realm where our voices could lower to a more intimate tone. The dimmed lights seemed to soften the edges of my emotions, allowing me a moment of respite from the chaos of the club.

"There, you're in the back room. Are you satisfied now?"

I squinted my eyes at him, disliking his condescending tone. Or maybe I was perceiving it that way, and he was only irritated.

"Listen," Ulrik began, his voice softer now, the frustration still present but tempered by a hint of vulnerability. We were no longer surrounded by prying eyes and judgment; it was just the two of us facing each other in a more personal space. "I'm trying, Mila. I'm being as open and honest as possible, but you're not ready for some of it."

"Like what?" I challenged.

"You will know when it's time."

I scoffed, rolled my eyes, and then glared at him. "This isn't what we discussed, Ulrik. When you came to get me at the airport and begged me to stay and give you yet another chance, you promised you'd be honest with me. That you'd try to make things work between us."

"And I am. But this... It's too soon."

"What is?" I insisted again. "Are you involved in some illegal activities?"

His eyebrows came together as if he was surprised that this would be my first idea. "I'm not," he countered.

Part of me wanted to believe him, especially since he sounded so genuine, but doubt lingered in my mind. Something was afoot, and I wasn't letting him get out of this easily.

"Then tell me, Ulrik."

He passed a hand in his hair, messing it up slightly. "Must you be so stubborn all the time?"

The way my jaw dropped must have been almost comical, but I was too angry to let it distract me. "You can't seriously expect me to roll over and act like it's nothing, you asshole."

"No, I'm asking you to trust me."

"Trust isn't something you can demand. It's something you earn."

His jaw ticked, tightly clenched. He knew I was right, but he wasn't used to not getting his way. "Then I will trade your trust for the world, Mila. If you trust me and give me the time I need to share everything with you, I will give you the world. I will give you my entire self, my whole being. But I need you to trust me."

My heart skipped a beat, deeply affected by how hard he was trying and by how intense his plea was. "You're asking too much, Ulrik."

"But I will give you everything in return for it. Everything. Every last convoluted corner of my mind, every dark secret, every ounce of my being. This, right now, is all I'm asking in return."

I didn't know what to say, so I stared at him, flabbergasted. I was too tipsy for this, too frustrated and emotional. Ulrik's devotion was absolute, and if I harbored any doubts that he was playing with me, they would have dissipated right then.

Trusting him was so little in comparison to what he would return to me. As if he could sense my hesitation, he came closer, laying gentle hands on my sides in an effort to reconnect. I hated how well it worked, how my body relaxed at his touch, how I longed to lose myself in his embrace.