t w e n t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

"Because I don't like you that way and I don't want to feed into your weird obsession."

"Okay, eat dinner with me tomorrow and I'll show you what a great guy I am." He smiled. I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"I guess." He leaped in joy, winking at me and walking away.

I hurried back to my cabin, quietly shutting the door and stripping down.

"Jess?" A voice whispered.

"Mother f.uck, what now?" I grumbled. A head peaked down from the loft, hair falling around her face. "Hi, Jo."

"Hey," she said softly. "Do you have pants on?"

"No. What's up?"

"Nothing, I've just been reading. What are you doing, just now getting in?" She whispered.

"Please don't tell anyone. Please." My voice was just as quiet as hers, and she nodded with a small grin.

"I promise I won't. Looks like you had fun though," she winked, and went back to her bed.

Everyone needs to stop winking.

***

"Jess? Did you hear me?" Stevie asked, seeming impatient.

"No."

"Were you listening?"

"No."

"What are you doing?"

"I'm eavesdropping."

Harry had apparently gone to the hospital very early and returned hours later. I watched him from across the mess hall lean on a wall with lazy eyes as he listened to David. His hair was an atrocious mess, laying across his head in different directions. A green shirt was covering his body, as was poorly cut-off shorts. He closed his eyes and softly nodded as David stood next to him gesturing with his hands.

I tried to not make it obvious that not only was I listening to their conversation, but I was checking Harry out.

"Harry, why in God's name would you go out there in the middle of the night?"

"I don't know," he mumbled softly. "I couldn't sleep. A quick dip relaxes me." David rolled his eyes.

"Why were your shorts in a tree?"

"I get a little wild when I'm relaxing," he snickered, yawning loudly afterwards.

"Harry, if I get any reports that you were out there with some one-"

"I'm a responsible guy, Davey Dave." He must've been exhausted, because his words were soft and slurred.

"You're not right but, neither am I," David sighed. "I know I give you a hard time, Harry. I'm really sorry about that. I just, this camp is very important to me, and I would be distressed if I lost it." His words were heavy and filled with emotion, but he was obviously not fully expressing himself. He cleared his throat and straightened his shirt, brushing non-existent dust off of himself. "Is your foot okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I mean, it's more my ankle, so it'll only hurt when the skin is stressed or something hits it." David nodded, licking his lips.

"I hope it heals up fast."

"Me too."

"Don't do anything stupid until you're okay." Harry chuckled and David smirked, waving him off and walking away.

I devoted my attention back to the plate of eggs in front of me, scraping around. "So," I trailed off.

"What?" Stevie mumbled.