"Ladies, it's pool time!" Lacy announced, her footsteps echoing against the hardwood floors as she made her way up and down the hallway, knocking on our doors. "Get your swimsuits on!" I barely had a chance to settle in, but that was alright because I couldn't wait to get into the pool.

"Also, my boyfriend Derrick is coming over to barbecue burgers for us on the outside grill," Lacy informed us as we gathered in the downstairs living space.

"What happened to Jay?" Jess asked inquisitively, though we all knew Lacy changed boyfriends as often as she changed her underwear. She'd been that way since high school. The longest relationship I recall her being in lasted six months during our first year at Galveston Community College.

"We broke up a month ago," Lacy explained. "I'm with Derrick now." She smiled. "He makes me happy."

The sun blazed, casting a warm glow over the pool's blue waters. A few birds chirped from their perches in the trees and atop the wooden fence.

We all dived into the seven-foot pool, savoring the calm waters as we submerged ourselves and swam from one end to the other. The sun's rays were less oppressive, feeling more moderate amidst the refreshing crispness of the pool's cool water.

Suddenly, we all heard a loud bang on the front door.

Lacy quickly stepped out of the pool. Water dripped excessively from her body as she wrapped herself in a large pink beach towel.

"That must be Derrick!" she announced excitedly. She strolled away from the pool toward the sliding glass door. She slid it open, drying off her feet on the gray mat before stepping back into the inn. I watched until she disappeared out of sight.

Jess swam up toward me. "I wonder who this Derrick guy is," she said in an almost hushed tone.

Corrine yelled from the opposite end of the pool. "Who are you two talking about?!" I turned to gaze in her direction, and water dripped from her hair and over her face.

Jess also turned in her direction and placed her index finger to her lips, signaling for her to be quiet.

An abrupt scream from out of nowhere jolted us, heightening our senses.

Jess's brows raised as she gazed in my direction. "What the hell was that?!"

I shrugged. "I don't know. It sounds like Lacy, though."

My heart plunged into my stomach, and fear coursed through my veins.

"Let's get out of this pool!" I immediately swam toward the ladder and hastily climbed out. Jess and Corrine followed suit. I dried my body off using my towel and quickly discarded it as I returned inside. I slid open the glass door.

"Hello?!" I peeked my head inside but didn't see anyone. "Hello? Is anyone there?"

I slowly stepped inside, my feet meeting the pristine hardwood floors. I began to tip-toe with Jess and Corrine following behind me.

A loud splash from outside trickled through the walls. It sounded like someone was diving into the pool.

Corrine's gaze met mine. "What was that?!" her face spoke of immense fear. Her head then shifted to Jess.

Jess shrugged. "I don't know, but it's scaring the hell out of me."

As we made our way back toward the pool, we saw a devastating sight that terrified us. Lacy's body was dumped into the pool, turning it a crimson red. She laid flat out and face down.

Jess let out a blood-curdling scream.
"Oh My God! He's here! The Masked Murderer is here!" She cried frantically.

My breath lodged in my throat. "Grab something! Anything!" I said hysterically as I scammed the pool area for a weapon. Nothing useful was insight, except for a metal pool cleaning pole. I immediately ran for it, grasping in my hand, I held it firmly.

Tears flowed down Corrine's eyes, "One of us has to check if Lacy's okay." She said between sniffles.

And just then, as we were contemplating on who was willing to jump into the water to check on Corrine, a tall man appears from behind the fence. He opens it up and walks into the pool area laughing hysterically. Lacy makes a splash, water droplets dance into the air, and she turns over in the pool and began swimming toward us.

"It's a joke, guys!" Lacy announced with a mischievous grin. "Derrick and I thought we'd have a little fun with you girls."

Jess's brows dived inward. "What the hell, Lacy?!" She placed her hand on her hip as if she were a mother verbally disciplining her child. "Why would you do something so distasteful?"

Corrine whispered to me as she shook her head. "Now I know why we initially kept our distance from her."

I lowered my head, dropping it into my hands. It was clear this was going to be one hell of a long weekend.