Life had many ironies. I always feel like I am one of them.

I blinked out of my deep thoughts at the sound of the door softly shutting close. I turned around and saw Seth walking to my direction. 

I looked at my watch again. It was now two-twenty-two. Dr. Han should be here shortly.

“You’re smiling,” was the first thing he said when he finally reached me by the window. 

My hand flew to my mouth in surprise. “Was I?”

“Yes, you were until you made it go away,” he answered, pulling my hand away from my face. “You had this very faint smile as if you’d just woken up from a real good sleep late in the morning.”

I snorted. “I didn’t even know there was a smile for that. I was just thinking. They weren’t even happy thoughts. I don’t know why I would’ve been smiling.”

“Don’t believe people who say you’re loony when you smile for no reason,” he said with a small grin, cranking the window open. A blast of cold air hit us but the room was quickly enveloped with a refreshing coolness. “I do it all the time. Well, mostly there’s a reason but sometimes, I’m just plain happy and content.”

I closed my eyes and leaned closer to the open window, letting the cool air touch my face. “It’s hard to imagine someone like you not being content, Seth. You can have everything you want.”

There was a brief gap of silence before he answered. “Not everything.”

I opened my eyes and saw him staring into the distance, his hand outstretched, trying to catch some raindrops. “Well, we can’t always win. If we can, life would be pretty boring. There won’t be anything to work for anymore.”

He turned to me and his eyes crinkled with a smile. “There’s plenty in my life that I have to work for. Some of them demand more than the rest do but I figured it’ll be worth it in the end.”

I nodded. “The battle’s just as important as the prize. Success is greater when well-deserved, wealth is more enjoyable when honestly earned, happiness lasts longer when it’s not superficial.”

“Love is sweeter too when it conquers many great adversities,” he supplied, his smile broadening.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. “Well, that’s not part of my quote but maybe you’re right. I don’t know. Relationships are not my thing. I can’t make it work.”

He eyed me curiously. “Why not? We can all make it work if we really want to.”

“That’s the thing. I don’t want to. I don’t want to because it will take me away so much from my plans. I don’t want to because… I don’t want to have to find out that I’m right about something.”

“Right about what?”

I blushed a bit and glanced away. “Never mind.”