Chapter Four

“Am I late?” Seth asked when he walked into the library and saw me sitting by the waiting area with six books on my lap the next day.

“Nope, I’m just early,” I answered, getting up and almost dropping the textbooks had Seth not caught them in time. “Sorry.”

He took four of the books from me and shook his head in amusement. “So, where do we sit? Have you already outlined our meeting for the day and all the resources and the minutes we’re spending on each of them? Have you printed and photocopied them and laid them out on the table?”

I rolled my eyes. “Haha. That’s so funny. Here.”

I slapped a two-page research outline down on the book at the top of his pile and picked up my backpack. “I got all the books we need. Let’s go.”

“Where are we going?” he asked as he followed me out into the open hall. “I thought we’ll be working in the library.”

“I changed my mind,” I told him, walking briskly ahead of him. “We’ll sit in one of the picnic tables—get some sunlight and cool breeze so I’ll feel less inclined to be annoyed for the rest of the afternoon.”

“Works for me,” he agreed, finally falling into a step beside me. “I don’t even know why you’re always so irritable. Is your menstrual period on all the time?”

I gave him a look of daggers. “The warm sunshine and cool breeze are fast losing their influence on my good mood right now, Seth.”

His grin immediately disappeared. “Shutting up now.”

“Good.” We reached my preferred table in the picnic area which today was only specked with a few people. Saturday classes are still on but most students spend their time between classes outside of campus to enjoy the weekend. 

Seth put down the books and his Macbook down on the table and sat across from me. “By the way, what do you say we drive to the beach later this afternoon? There’s supposed to be a really nice sunset there today and—“

“No.”

“Okay. How about getting some hotdogs at Bertie’s? It’s Saturday steak special there too—“

“No.”

“How about some apple-banana smoothies at—“

“No.”

“Okay, then. I guess, that’s it for my suggestions,” Seth muttered with a resigned smile, shaking his head wryly.  “So, let’s start. What do you have in mind?”

“You might want to read the sheet I handed to you first,” I told him, zipping my backpack open.

He started reading it silently for a couple of minutes before catching what I was doing in the corner of his eye. He paused and looked up curiously. “What are you doing?”