Chapter 28:Redspite

Y/N wasn't sure who was more surprised by her invite to sit and eat at this resident cafe - Nayeon, Lisa, or herself.

She felt keenly the sheer ridiculousness of sitting in a booth surrounded by duck-like figurine mascots, even more so as it sank in that her two companions were a war general from the samurai era and her reincarnated lover who also happened to be her best friend; but as it was, she couldn't have just left them be.

"I don't want to interrupt your date." Lisa had protested at Y/N's suggestion.

"It's not a date." Nayeon had replied automatically.

Y/N was still struggling to quash her irritation at Nayeon's easy dismissal as they waited for their food to arrive.

Sitting across from Y/N and Nayeon in the booth, Lisa clasped her hands together and looked curiously between them, "So, how do you two know each other?"

"She's my boss." Y/N replied without thinking.

Lisa's eyes shone with delight, "You didn't tell me you got a new job! What do you two do?"

Y/N expected Nayeon to speak up, but Nayeon continued to only stare at Lisa with a look similar to dazed awe.

Annoyed, Y/N coughed, "We manage a hotel."

Lisa beamed at them, "That's fantastic! Can I visit?"

"No." Nayeon spoke sharply.

Both girls were taken aback by the suddenness of Nayeon's intervention.

Y/N laughed nervously and looked back at Lisa, "Uh, it's under renovation right now."

Lisa fell back in disappointment, "I see. Then what brings you here?"

Y/N bit her bottom lip and gulped, "We are... Looking for decoration inspiration?"

Catching the eye of a duck shaped statue guarding the door, Y/N recognised how stupid this sounded even as she said it.

Eager for a change of subject, Y/N pressed, "What about you, Lalisa? Why did you come alone?"

"My hotel room is being made up," Lisa sighed, pouring herself a cup of water, "I thought I would play a few games to kill time. Have you been to the archery stall yet? I've always wanted to try it-"

Y/N choked and fell into a coughing fit.

Alarmed, Lisa quickly pushed her cup of water into Y/N's hands, "Here, Y/N! Are you okay?"

Y/N gulped down the drink, relieved to have something to do, "Sorry," she gasped, "I'm not feeling very good."

For the first time since they had sat down, Nayeon glanced at Y/N in concern, "What's wrong?"

Y/N blinked at her, stunned by the genuineness of Nayeon's tone. Their waitress arrived before Y/N could reply, setting down a huge array of food.

"Enjoy!" The waitress beamed.

An awkward silence descended over the table as the waitress walked away.