Chapter 20:Permanent Violet

Start from the beginning

Y/N was not so much stunned by the news as she was dispirited by the fact that Mina had not been lying, "So it's true." she mumbled.

Seulgi cocked her head, "Did you already hear it from somebody else?"

Y/N shook herself out of it, "No. Never mind. Then it has nothing to do with the girl?"

"The girl?"

"The princess." Y/N answered, "Know anything about that?"

If possible, Seulgi seemed to grow more uncomfortable, "She served under a military ruler - I suppose a princess could have been involved."

Y/N frowned and went silent.

Seulgi gave her a sympathetic look, "You really want to talk to her, huh?"

Y/N scoffed and propped her chin up in her hand, "What I want is for somebody to tell me the whole truth."

"Only one person can do that." Seulgi replied knowingly, to which Y/N only snorted.

After a moment, Seulgi continued, "Well... The ghost of Room 229 was quite rowdy just a bit ago."

"I remember," Y/N grumbled. "So what?"

"So," continued Seulgi enticingly, "Nayeonssi would've gone to calm her down. She's the only one who can, after all. If you're lucky... You might be able to corner Nayeon as shw comes out of the room."

Y/N's eyes widened, "Seulgi," she said, jumping to her feet, "That is not a bad idea."

Seulgi's chest puffed at the compliment as Y/N grinned and circled the counter, "Thanks Seul! I'll be back!"

Y/N took the lift to the lobby and crossed the grand room to the second elevator for the guest floors.

She kept her eyes out for Nayeon on her way, but did not so much as catch a glimpse of her before the doors closed.

"It's not like I want to see her face," Y/N muttered as her elevator rose, "I just want to ask her questions."

She tried hard not to think of the way their hands had naturally intertwined in her dream, and of the way her fingers tingled at the memory.

Y/N shook the feeling out of her hands and continued aloud, "I'm not that girl. I'm not."

She was afraid of what it would mean if she was.

The lift opened onto the long corridor of the 22th floor. Stepping out of the elevator, Y/N began to walk the length of the hallway, counting out the room numbers on either side until she came to a stop at 229.

She was mildly surprised to find that like the other guest rooms, the door was a rich, smooth white with painted gold accents. It did not look as if it were containing a hostile ghost on the other side, nor could Y/N hear any immediate voices.

Suspicious of Nayeon having already left, Y/N pressed a curious ear against the door and was startled to hear the sound of a girl's faint crying.