𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲

Depuis le début

I leaned over from where I had sunken into the couch, placing the book onto the wooden coffee table. Moving back onto the couch, I turned my back towards the doors that led out into the backyard. I yawned once again as I shuffled myself down underneath the quilted blanket that gave me a sense of comfort to fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon while my boyfriend was out drinking with his uncle. It didn't bother me because I knew that he would control his substances and take his time before he would come home ; enough time to sober up in the best possible manner. I faced the inside of the large couch with the blanket covering my whole body. I closed my eyes and rested my hand underneath my face. The sound of the rain made me fall into a small sleep. Drifting off into the sleep that made me dream of the day that would come when Rafe would propose to me in a beautiful field the way that Edward had done to Bella in the Twilight series.

Laying in the meadow of wildflowers that covered us in the silk forest of South Carolina. Out of the OuterBanks where we could cast our worries into being happy with each other. Away from the ocean would become heartbreaking for me but I started to love the fields that surrounded the large farmhouse in the middle of Charleston. Out of the teenage years that haunted us in the OuterBanks. My hand would hold onto Rafe's hand, my head rested on his chest while we were going to welcome our second child together. Our baby ran around in the large meadow of wildflowers while laughter escaped from her mouth. I dreamt of having a daughter that would run into Rafe's arms and adore him the way that I adored my wonderful father. The daughter would have dirty blonde hair like her father, petite like her mother. Mixed features with the brightest blue and green eyes that anyone could ever lay their eyes upon. Her smile would be like her fathers and have the same dimpled cheeks as mine. Little freckles laying upon her cheeks, her curly hair turned into ringlet curls. Tanned skin from being out in the warm sunshine with the farm animals that were wandering in the fields we owned. My friends would stop by for a couple of weeks at the time, visiting with their non-biological niece and future niece or nephew.

The daydreaming always seemed to creep up on me while I was in a deep slumber. I never wanted anything but to be in love with someone the way that my parents were in love with another. I wanted a small family, just a couple of kids that were as reckless and fun as me. I dreamt of the same things that I had read in the Twilight book that made me realize how much my life was similar to Bella in a sense ; without the Vampires and werewolves. The love triangle was unique and different. It was something that I didn't want to be surrounded in, hoping that JJ would fall out of love with me within the days of us being apart. Despite the fact that love was hard to break once you were in love. The unknowing of where they had been made memories rush to my head as I slept with comfort after staying up almost all night long.

Memories of high school appeared in my dreams. It replayed in my mind multiple times, the small details of moments that made my heart beat in a faster paced manner. The times that my friends and I had done foolish things that didn't make any sense at the time. We would stay out in the late summer sun, swimming in the ocean and surfing till the sun would set on the horizon. JJ and I would get on top of the long board that my father purchased back in his early surfing days. We would try to ride the wave together in order to break the record in OuterBanks. We would smack our faces on the board when a wave would rush underneath the board, or we would dive head first into the blue ocean. He was my best friend that I had done every single thing with from the moment I met him in third grade. We shared everything from toys to surfboards and even our first kiss together. He was my first kiss in the 9th grade. The evening was warm. A summer day, July 1st in the year of 2019. I was just about to turn sixteen years old. He was a little bit younger than me by a couple of months.

We sat in our bathing suits in the crunchy sand beneath us. We had finished our surfing session for the day, ready to walk back to my house that was on the beachfront. Sand stuck to our wet bodies as we exploded in laughter together. The sun sat on the horizon. Yellow, orange, and pink colors mixed in the sky and reflected on top of the ocean. I laid my head on his shoulder. The feelings between us were mutual up until my sophomore year when he stated that he would never be attracted to me. We were waiting for another month until school would close down our outside life that pertained around surfing and the beach. His young face stared at the sunset in front of us. His blue eyes dazzled in the light, his tanned skin reflected the sunshine. I didn't know that the summer before my junior year, JJ would turn out hating me in the worst way possible that would lead to us avoiding another despite him living in my old home half of the year. I didn't believe that my heart would be shattered in one knowing that he would later be hooking up with my friend. The summertime was something that I didn't look forward to once my junior year came around, I distanced myself from him for a while until Kiara and him broke up. JJ laid his hand across my thigh, running his soft fingers across my skin even though we didn't share our feelings towards another.