Chapter 3: Countdown

Start from the beginning

"No way," she snatched the ammo box out of my hands to observe it.

"Unless the puny gun you gave me was an AK - 47, I don't think that is the right ammo," I stated.

She put it back and picked up the right ammo to throw at me once again.

"Hey!" I caught the box. "You know you can just hand it to me, right?"

"Let's just pay and get out of here," Annie scoffed.

We walked over to the counter and paid for the items. Annie and I took out our cards, using up about a tenth of the points we had that month. Then, we walked out of the store. I had the gun and ammo in the bag, and the switchblade was in my pocket. I walked over to my bike when I heard my ComVice beep.

"Hey Annie," I called out. She turned around. "Armin is hosting a small get-together tomorrow before midnight. So we can hang out together before anything happens."

"I'm not going," Annie said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Isn't it fucking obvious?" She spat. "I don't want to scare Sasha. She spent the past five years of her life terrified and depressed and the last thing she needs is me to be there to remind her that death is right around the corner."

"But this may be the last time we all get to hang out together," I said. "You know, alive."

"I know," Annie replied. "But if it is obvious to you I don't want to do this, it would be obvious for her, too. I don't want to give her any reason to think that she is safe, because she is not. If she isn't going to fight, then I will have to be the one to kill." Annie turned away and walked down the street.

⊷⋄⋄⚄⋄⋄⊶

It was the night before the 48 hours were up. I rang the doorbell to Armin's house. A few seconds later, he appeared at the door to let me in.

"Hey Bertolt," he greeted.

"Hi," I smiled.

"And she..." he said.

I knew exactly who he was talking about. "Is not coming."

"Oh," he sighed. "Well, join the others."

I walked to the living room. Jean and Marco were sitting on the floor while Sasha was sitting next to Connie with her heard leaning on his shoulder.

"Hey Bertolt!" Marco smiled. "How are you doing?" He asked.

"Okay, I guess," I lied. I was a panicking mess. There were only a few more hours until everything will go to hell.

"Let's just watch something funny and uplifting," Jean stated.

"Good idea," Armin said as he switched on the TV.

We watched in silence. The show was hilarious, but no one had the spirit to laugh or smile. Everything we watched reminded us of our impending doom. Everything that they broadcasted glorified the system and society we lived in. There wasn't one second where we could forget about our future and what it may hold.

All we could do was wait for the moment when the clock turned 12. Once it was 11:59, we all held our breaths. We weren't looking at the screen, just the changing numbers on the digital clock.

When it turned to 12 AM, our hearts stopped. We all stared at the clock in dead silence. The only noise came from the soft murmuring of the screen. It felt as if a dark presence crept it's way into the house and filled the atmosphere around us with a suffocating poison, reminding us that one day, we all will die. For the rest of the night until we fell asleep, death was the only thing we could think of.