Chapter Twenty-Three: The Mob Song

Start from the beginning

"No, none taken." I agreed, glancing at Ashlyn. She gave me a sad smile and I sighed taking a step back. 

"We're doing this."

"Good. Ten-minute warm-up, then we settle this, street-style."

"No!" I exclaimed, causing everyone to look at me. "You guys do what you want, but I'm not competing against East High."

"Oh honey, you already are," Lily argued, "In the Menkies, remember? But if you don't think you can handle it then I am your understudy. I'll go on in your place."

I shrugged.

"Fine. Whatever." I turned, leading the way out of the shop and down the hall towards the auditorium. 

~~~

The two groups started warming up and I took a seat in the audience. I was only there for a few seconds though, before Ashlyn appeared in front of me, stretching her arm across her body. 

"Why aren't you dancing with them?" She asked. "Do you not think I can beat you either?"

"I know you can beat me." I said simply. She furrowed her eyebrows. "Ashlyn, I meant what I told you before. You are Belle, and that authenticity comes out in your performance, and goes hand-in-hand with your mindblowing talent. I can't compete with you...and I'm really sorry if I ever made you feel like you were less or like I thought I was more talented than you because I promise, that was never my intention-"

"I know that," She said, sitting down beside me and grabbing my hands, "Megan, I never thought that you felt superior to me. I don't think you feel like you're better than anybody." 

"Really?" I asked.  "I mean, I was so upset that I didn't get Belle that I transferred to another school." 

"You and I both know that had nothing to do with me," She said, "You had your own stuff going on, and your own insecurities. I know that now...I'm just sorry I didn't realize it sooner." 

I shook my head, squeezing her hands.

"I've really missed you." I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "That video you sent me was beautiful, I was sobbing."

She laughed, crying now as well. I laughed too, and we both leaned forward, wrapping each other up in a hug. I pulled back, wiping my eyes with my thumb. I felt eyes on me, and glanced up to see EJ, mid-stretch, staring at me with sad eyes. I sighed, and Ashlyn followed my gaze. 

"I really hurt him, didn't I?" I asked, averting my eyes to my lap.

"Yeah" She admitted, "But he hurt you too. People make mistakes, its unavoidable. What matters is if we can make it up to them...and if they can find it in their hearts to forgive us." 

I nodded.

"I don't think he can," I reasoned, "I...I told him that I couldn't ask him to wait for me. I still have a lot of work to do, mentally, and I can't...I won't drag him into that again."

"But what if you don't have to ask?" She questioned. I bit my lip, glancing over at him again. He still hadn't looked away from me.

"Ok everyone! Warm up is over, gather around!" Lily called from the stage. "I will now press shuffle to choose the song." 

"After which, I will prepare a dance remix of the song," Antoinne added, "since I, on occasion, DJ." 

"Of course he's a DJ!" Big Red exclaimed.

"Non, Monsieur, I DJ but I would not say I am a DJ." He laughed condescendingly.

"Kind of like how you speak with a French accent, but you aren't actually French!' I called. He shot me an annoyed look, but I shrugged.