11. Humanity's weapon

Beginne am Anfang

One of the soldiers tries to calm him down, but Dazz begins to scream again, losing it against his own emotions. Damn... Everyone is going to hear him. That cause a panic among the soldiers... Given the situation, it's not surprising that people lose it. With everything they've seen... Everything they should have never seen. Damn!

- I also want to die on my own terms, I hear one of the girl soldiers saying. I look at her, watching the fear flashing in her eyes.

- Hey, you two! Exclaims, another soldier. It's a man with a deep voice. Frightened, the girl apologizes to him, tears coming up in her eyes as her voice begins to shake. Oh come on... Let's not start a fight together. Do it, the man suddenly says. Huh? Do it? Make a real scene. With as many people as you can. Many of us in the Garrison aren't in agreement too. We'll take advantage of the chaos and escape! He tells us with a slight rushed tone. He wants everyone to rebel... Go against the order... Escape? To go where?

- Where would you go then? I ask him with a confused tone. Wherever we go, the titans will be there. Or at least, they'll eventually find us in the end... The man looks up at me.

- I'll go see my daughter! This wall won't hold for long either after all, the soldiers respond with a serious tone. He isn't all wrong... I could go back to my mom and live my peaceful life as I used to. But that wouldn't be right, would it? I'd be a coward like all of those who flee from war. But I would live at least, not like those idiots thinking they can win...

Eren's P.O.V.

- It's said that before the titans claimed dominance of the land, mankind was locked in endless bloody battles over differences in race and ideals. Supposedly someone then said, "If something beyond man appeared before us as a powerful foe, mankind will take up arms together in unity." Commander Dott Pixis tells me as he and I are walking alone on top of the wall. Axe, Mikasa, Armin, and some other soldiers stayed behind, waiting for orders. This whole situation has to be taken seriously, and that's what I'm doing. Because of me and my powers, thousands of lives can be saved. I have to try and save the world. I have to take revenge for mom. I have to protect my sister, Axl, and my friends, Mikasa, Armin, and everyone else. It's my duty as a soldier. What do you make of that? Commander Pixis asks me.

- There's a legend like that? Well, it seems rather optimistic. Doesn't interest me, though, I seriously reply to the man. I never heard of that legend, but if he said it, it must be true.

- Your character's quite cynical, muck like myself, the Commander says with an amused tone as he laughs out loud. Am I?

- It's hard to say that humanity is united, I reply to the man.

- True, that certainly needs to change. Otherwise, it'll be difficult to continue fighting, he tells me as we reach some other soldiers. True... And that'll be a disaster. The soldiers are keeping the cannons in case we have to fire. Mr. Hannes is here. I haven't seen him for a while... Well, before all this started. I'm glad to see he made it.

The man with blonde hair, Mr. Hannes, seems to be surprised to see me walking behind the Commander. Yet, he looks relieved to see me. He probably thought that I was dead, like many other soldiers who lost their lives. He has to stay focused on the mission.

Using the army sign language, I tell him to stay focused on his mission and not get distracted.

Mr. Hannes' P.O.V.

I'm glad to see that Eren is safe. I'm sure Axl, Mikasa and Armin are safe too. Though, I'm surprised that Eren is following Commander Pixis. What is that man doing with the kid? What's his plan? And why is Eren doing this sign language to me? Why is he telling me to stay focused on the mission? That's not a way to talk to his superior...