11. Humanity's weapon

Start from the beginning

As weird as it may sound, what Eren said about the titans not being our only enemy doesn't sound as crazy as it could be. The titans are in fact our enemies, but could there be something else? Could someone be behind all this? Or something? We know so little about the titans to be fair... There's so many questions that stay unanswered.

- Time is of the essence, I turn around to discover Commander Pixis and a few soldiers facing us. Oh... Eren stands up and the four of us face the Commander and his soldiers. We have a role for you to fulfill, young soldiers, he tells us with such confidence. The Commander has led a lot of battles. He may have lost a lot of soldiers but he never gave up. Is that a good enough reason to trust him? Probably not... Do we have a choice? Definitely not.

Jean's P.O.V.

All soldiers are waiting on Commander Dott Pixis to tell us what to do. Honestly, that man is crazy. Sealing the hole? How? That's impossible! The Commander has seen what those things can do and yet, he keeps going. What is wrong with that man? Does putting thousands of lives and his own at stake please him? Jeez...

Down here, the crowd of soldiers is silently waiting for the orders. Yet, despite the silence or the bare whispers, I can tell what everyone thinks quietly. LEAVING. Everyone wants to leave, to go back to their family. They don't want to stay and sacrifice themselves, and they're right. What the Commander is asking us is just insane. We better run straight to a titan, offering ourselves to them so they can devour us...

- A plan to recapture Trost District?! I hear one of the soldiers exclaiming with disbelief.

- You're kidding me! What are the higher ups thinking? Isn't entering Trost district just suicide? Questions, another soldier, clearly not in favor of the Commander's plan.

They're all fearing. They're all confused and scared. The situation is just so strange... And with Eren and his Titan Power... His secret won't stay hidden very long. Some people have already mentioned it here... How can he hide this now? How long has he been hiding it anyway? He fooled us all...

- But all we can do is defend Wall Rose's gate since the hole can't be sealed... Damn, are they that starved for glory? To be forced back into that hell... I hear Dazz whispering as he glares at the ground. This Hell... Even Hell is probably much more welcoming than this life. No one ever thought during their training period that being a soldier would be so... Turbulent, to say the least. No, I don't want to die!! Let me see my family! Dazz suddenly starts yelling, causing me to gasp. I watch the guy holding his head in between his hands as he looks completely anxious to go back on the field. One of us tries to quiet the soldier, but this one is too overwhelmed.

- Hey over there! I heard you! One of our higher ups yelled at Dazz! Oh damn... Are you planning to abandon your duty?! He asks the soldier with a mad tone.

- Yes, that's right! There's nothing to be gained from this mass suicide mission! Dazz exclaims, not even hiding his thoughts. He... He actually made his decision. He has seen enough...

- How dare you make a mockery of mankind and order?! I'll have you know I have the authority to execute you on the spot! The high up soldier replies as he begins to take out one of his blades. Execute us... As if the titans killing us wasn't enough as a threat, not our own kind wants to take us down just for refusing to fight?

- Fine by me, Dazz replies as he takes his own blade out and holds it to the man. Huh? I look at him with wide eyes. He isn't serious... Is he? Leaving to go home, okay, but losing his life... That would be a hundred times better than getting devoured by a titan, he says to the man, speaking with a small voice. He has completely given up..