Part 14

Miles's POV

The previous night

"Okay, we have to come up with a game plan." Ganke started pacing around the room.

"You have to get a costume, and a mask so no one sees your face."

"We also need to figure out your powers and how to use them properly."

"And then we need to- "

"Woah, woah, woah. Slow down a little bit. There's something a bit more important than that right now."

"Like?" Ganke stopped and stared at me.

"While I was in the subway, I heard two scientists talking about some collider. I need to learn more about it – it sounds important."

"Collider?"

"Yeah...didn't you hear about it?"

"No...? I don't even know what you're talking about."

I frowned in confusion. What could he mean?

"Search it up." I asked him.

He went onto his laptop and searched up 'collider'.

He got Wikipedia results, and other resources.

"Try 'super-collider'," I suggested.

Still, he got the same thing.

"Try, 'Alchemax Super-Collider'."

He got...

0 results.

"What?" I exclaimed, staring at the screen in shock.

"Miles, are you sure you weren't hearing things? It is pretty late; you may have been tired and imagined what they were saying."

"No, that's not possible. I heard about it. I heard them talk about it, loud and clear."

"This doesn't make any sense."

"Maybe you should find concrete evidence first."

"An eye-witness, maybe?" Ganke proposed, leaning back on his chair as he stretched.

"Eye-witness..." I mused, thinking back to just where I had heard the news.

Flashback – 1 year prior

'I'm tellin' you, man. It's science.'

He laughed out loud, holding a beer can in his left hand, as he practiced the shoulder touch on me.

'I can't do that. What if she looks at me weird; or thinks I am weird. What if it doesn't work? What if- '

'Stop worryin'. Nobody's good at it on their first try.' He smiled, taking a swig of his beer again.

'You should've seen your dad. He was a wreck, man. He couldn't even look 'er in the eye for a week after that.'

We both laughed.

'Stop lyin'. It couldn't've been that bad, right?'

'Any other girl would've ran away screaming. But your mom saw past his exterior, and realized that he was one in a billion.'

'Let's hope it doesn't run in the family.'

'I pray it doesn't. I can't have no nephew on the streets with no game.'

'Then again...at the rate at which you're goin'...'

'I might have to wait a while.'