11. brutal

chapter eleven,
brutal

        MISS JENN TOLD them about how Alyson Reed convinced her to apply for the drama teacher position at East High during an audition for Wicked

MISS JENN TOLD them about how Alyson Reed convinced her to apply for the drama teacher position at East High during an audition for Wicked. "And that's how the story ends," the teacher smiled sadly at them. "Oh, wait. Goodness. I almost forgot. Gina, would you give me a hand with these?"

Miss Jenn and Gina passed out gift bags, handing one to everyone.

"What's this?" Phoebe wondered quietly as she was handed hers.

"Uh, these are wrap gifts," Miss Jenn explained. "They're gratitude journals for all of you. For the movie. And I guess for our little show, too."

"So, that's it?" Ricky's voice wavered, making Phoebe's heart hurt. "High School Musical's over?"

"Jennifer," a new voice joined them. Everyone turned to see Mr. Gutierrez. "I thought we discussed this."

"I was just dismissing them, Principal Gutierrez," Miss Jenn assured him. "Yes, Ricky. It's over. But you've got lives. And loves to love. And all good things must come to an end."

"Um," Gina got out. "Well, guys, we had a good run, then."

Maddox turned toward Jet. "We just got here, though."

"My dad's here," Ashlyn announced, turning towards the door. "I should probably. . ."

"Yeah, I have to finalize the layout for yearbooks, so I should. . ." Kourtney followed her.

Seb pulled away from Carlos. "I'm supposed to clean up the coffee truck and bring Corbin a vanilla latte before his jet takes out."

"I can help," Carlos quickly offered.

"Wow," Jet scoffed, looking at Ricky and Maddox. "I can't believe you guys actually tried to convince me there was a point to all of this."

Maddox sighed. "Jet. . ."

        "I. . . um," Gina wiped her tears. She didn't say anything else and simply left.

"Jennifer—" Principal Gutierrez started.

"Give her a minute," Mr. Mazzara stopped him. "These are her children."

        Miss Jenn sniffled. "Um, Ricky, could you get the lights on the way out?"

        Mr. Mazzara's phone went off. He walked away, leaving just Phoebe, Ricky, and the drama teacher.