Congratulations, You Idiot

"More flowers, Miss Sachar," her chief of staff announced as he brought the newest vase in her office. "We are running out of room in the dining room and drawing room."

Katherine sighed and scribbled numbers on a scrap pad of paper at her desk. "You think people would buy something useful to congratulate people, but no - send something that will die and has no value after a week in the summer heat."

Francis rolled his eyes behind her back.

"I know what you're doing Francis, that's rude." She chuckled to herself as she saw him jump a little in the corner of her vision.

"Shouldn't you begin planning, my lady? You've been working with the ledgers all day. Surely your engagement is more interesting than our profit margin."

Katherine set aside the pencil and stretched.

"No, what I'd like to do is prepare a cake. The Marchioness will be taking tea with us this afternoon. Please inform the chef."

Francis bowed. "At once, my lady."

He shut the door behind him and Katherine was alone with her thoughts. Once again something was happening behind the scenes, making it difficult to see Edgar.

They left on a high that night, escaping together before Marianne Albrecht could swoop in and attack. He rode to her house in the carriage, continuing to apologize and double-check her acceptance on the way home.

He also let slip details about the revolution she didn't have before. The old news is that they called themselves the Democrats, and their main goal was to get rid of the aristocracy. Essentially, they believed if you were born into it, you didn't deserve it.

Katherine was all for leveling the playing field and allowing hard work to be valued. She drew the line at punishing someone for the circumstances of their birth, rich or poor. Katherine plucked at the flowers sent to her, removing the dead bits. She tried not to cringe at the metaphor provided for wasted fortunes that lay in front of her.

In this present lifetime, the Democrats were smashing and burning property that belonged to the aristocracy. Fortunately, the fire brigade always arrived to put out the flames before it spread. The trouble now was that they were becoming bolder, intentionally clogging the streets to prevent the brigade from swift action.

If things happened like her past life, Devlin was behind it. She couldn't just hand him over - in this lifetime they hadn't met, so the accusation would seem to come from nowhere. She also had to be sure that Isadora wasn't involved.

"Well done and congratulations to the happy couple," said a voice that came from everywhere.

Katherine froze.

"I look forward to the impending nuptials."

Slowly, Katherine turned around, scanning for a small black shape.

From behind a large floor vase, it walked out, it's stick-shaped arms behind its back. Though it had no mouth, Katherine deduced it was smiling from the shape of its eyes.

"Looks like you made a better choice this time. Successful, powerful. You might even be happy in this match. A nice way to finish off a lifetime."

Katherine growled. "I don't need your approval, demon."

"And yet you have it." The creature examined the end of its arm, where a hand should have been. "Your grandmother is quite pleased as well, not that you needed her approval either."

"What would it take to get you to leave?"

"I'd leave your sight if you asked nicely," it said. "I only came by to remind you about Step Two, and that your uncle should be arriving any day to try and snatch this place away. Prepare to fight, and make babies to celebrate your success."

Katherine snapped. "Why? So you can eat my soul, and theirs, on and on to infinity?"

The demon smiled. Probably. It was hard to tell for sure. "Yes, I like the sound of that."

"Which one of my asshole ancestors set this deal up, hey? Who do I have to thank when I get to the afterlife?"

"Great-great grandma Vera Dumont-Tremaine was the one who saved you all with her Deal. Make sure you actually thank her, and me, or you wouldn't be alive right now." It turned its back on her and flipped a hand over its shoulder as if shooing away a fly. "I don't deserve your sass."

"And I don't deserve to have my soul repurposed. Or to live countless lifetimes until there's a child to suck dry."

It turned and placed its snappy "hands" on its hips. "I told you, I don't suck blood, or eat souls. They give me power. You aren't going to be harmed."

"I'll just be stuck. And so will my children. And their children. Whether they want to marry or not, or have children or not, they'll be made to do so or else they can't die."

The demon paused for a moment, considering its response. Despite their difference in size, Katherine felt quite small in the space of its silence.

"You know, that's one of the more popular Deals. People often trade a great many things so they can avoid death."

"It sucks. I've been there three times."

"I'm aware."

"I thought you said you protect us."

"I do."

"I died. Poisoned. Childbirth."

It shrugged. "Natural causes wasn't so bad."

"It's still dying. It's not protecting me at all, and I'm all that's left of the family."

"I protect the family from the big disasters. War, famine, plague and the like. You made bad choices. I can't save you from yourself."

Katherine's brain skipped a few thoughts as it tried to grasp the blame the demon tossed out.

A knock at the door jumpstarted her mind again. She put the thought of the demon to a far corner of her mind.

"Come in," she called.

Francis opened the door. "Madam? The Marchioness has arrived."

"I'll be right there. Please have the tea prepared."

"Yes, my lady."

Katherine paused to examine her dress. Slightly wrinkled at the back from sitting for so long, she figured the yellow and brown plaid pattern would hide the worst of it.

She was determined to ignore the demon and go on with her day, but it wouldn't let her go without imparting some unwelcome wisdom. Katherine didn't look back, but she heard it as clear as if it was speaking directly into her ear.

"Make good choices, Katherine."