chapter forty-three

Start from the beginning

She stilled at the sound of my voice, and her eyes fluttered open. Despite the bandages covering her, she still looked like the prettiest girl I'd ever seen. My strong girl.

Tears welled up in her eyes, glistening as they rolled down her cheeks. Those pretty green eyes, they had seen so much, cried so many tears, yet they still shone.

I leaned down, pressing her head against my neck as I hugged her trembling body. "It's okay, you made it," I whispered into her ear, causing her to cry even more. Tears of joy, perhaps? I hoped so. "I owe you my life," she sobbed. "Thank you."

I did what I was good at, calming her down, and got the nurse to bring her something to eat. She had to stay in the hospital for a few more days due to her severe wounds, so we decided to leave her behind. She was still sleeping when we left, and Zade remained silent the entire time.

...

Over the next few days, I visited Kim every day, and Zade and I trained together in the mornings. I was already skilled, but compared to him, I felt like an ordinary citizen. His speed and precision were remarkable.

His workouts were incredibly intense, and they left me burning for hours. He trained me relentlessly, and I couldn't deny that I liked the way he showed no mercy; it would be disastrous if he went soft. Every morning, I woke up at four to run for an hour and a half, aiming to cover more kilometers each day in the same time frame.

I had never been this physically active in my entire life, not even during my training for my profession. And now, on the bright side, Kim was getting discharged tomorrow. After some pleading, Zade agreed to let her stay with us.

Today, we weren't doing boxing or any type of fighting; we were going to the shooting range, which were my favorite days. Yes, he had a gym room the size of my entire downstairs in my penthouse, and a shooting range, all within this mansion of his.

We did everything together because he didn't want to leave me alone. My meetings became our meetings, my shopping trips became our shopping trips. Somewhere between then and now, I had transitioned from 'me' and 'mine' to 'we' and 'ours'. My house had become our house.

I was getting comfortable with being near him again. I laughed, I smiled, and I had even started baking.

"We ran out of sugar!" I yelled as I removed the gloves from my hands and tossed them onto my bed. He had moved all of my belongings into his house, including my family picture frames, which he placed around my room for me. He even purchased some books from my wish list that I had planned to buy but never got around to.

"We can go shopping after you shower," he replied. I had performed well at the shooting range today, hitting all the marked targets except one, which I planned to practice on extensively on Monday. This was what happened when you made mistakes around Zade; you perfected them until they became your strengths. Having a weakness was unacceptable.

I called Hannah and my father, but I didn't tell them about what happened. I claimed that I had lost my phone and it took some time to retrieve all my contacts. My father had been close to boarding a plane and coming here, while Hannah, not as concerned, assumed I was busy. She had kept Angelica with her, and they seemed to be doing fine together.

I removed my leggings and compression jacket before walking into the shower, washing away the sweat and dirt.

I am so close to catching you, Diego; you won't be able to hide for much longer now.