𝟎𝟐. 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐞, 𝐜𝐡𝐮𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐚, 𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐧, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐛𝐮𝐬

˚ ༘♡ ·˚ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ
⁺˚⋆。° chapter two ⁺˚⋆。°

┊͙✧˖*°࿐

a banshee, chupacabra, siren, and succubus
⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⁺˚⋆。°✩₊
∘₊✧──✧₊∘

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

    WHEN SAMMI WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING, HER HEAD was still aching. After she'd gotten home from the clinic, she hoped that her medication would kick in like it always did and revert her back to normal, but it seemed that wasn't the case.

She suffered through a family dinner that consisted of something that felt like an interrogation from her parents, both taking turns to coddle her and asking her to repeat — verbatim — what Dr. Sarkov had told her about next month's prescription.

They weren't satisfied with what little she gave them, so then they resorted to feeling for a fever every time she would try to take a bite of her spaghetti. She stopped eating not very long after, telling them that she needed to lie down for a while.

She ended up locking herself in her bedroom for the rest of the night, staring at Juan's contact until she fell asleep. She didn't get much rest, waking up countless times in the middle of the night, fading in and out of dreamless sleeps.

She groaned as she sat up, quickly checking her phone for anything important. Only a message from Vanessa asking her to call her when she could, and an Apple News article about yet another 'Terror of Tacoma' attack. The second one that week, to be specific.

Her attention turned to the time, and she huffed when she saw it was almost ten. If she wasn't up and out of her room before eleven, surely her mother would send in a team of paramedics. So she dragged herself out of bed, grabbed an outfit for the day, and slipped into the bathroom to take a shower.

Sometimes those helped ease her headaches whenever she got them.

It seemed to get rid of some of the tension that squeezed her temples. She changed into a loose, dark grey tank top and some shorts and headed towards the kitchen, wanting to eat something before she took her pill for the day.

Hushed voices came from around the corner and she slowed to a stop when she heard her name being thrown around. Sam recognized the voices to be her parents and Liz, each tone very distinctive. Her parents sounded concerned, as they usually did, while Liz sounded angry. Or annoyed.

"Why didn't you go in with her? She was off of her medication for the first time in seven years, Elizabeth." Their mother, Julia, whispered, voice tense with frustration.

She could almost hear Liz's eye roll from around the corner. "Trust me, Mom, she's perfectly fine."

"Don't give us that. You're her sister." Their father, David, came to their mother's aid. He spoke firmly upon hearing his wife scoff, stunned with disbelief.

"She was fine yesterday. Besides, she's back on her meds, so it's fine." Liz mumbled, opening the fridge to grab something.

"Look, about that," Julia's tone went eerily solemn out of nowhere, and Sammi leaned in to hear her better. She felt a strange pit forming in her gut. "Your dad and I talked last night and we found a doctor over in Boston who might be able to help Sam."

The kitchen went dead silent when Liz suddenly slammed the refrigerator door. Sammi was sure she could hear everybody's heartbeats from where she stood. Nobody moved or said anything for a moment.