Chapter 9

TAKE ATTENDANCE

The car ride home was dead silent, but the peacefully quiet highway, with nobody but themselves brought a level of tranquility that none of them had felt in years. It felt as if the world could end, and they wouldn't care. They were each having their own 'this is life' moment, some's thoughts more positive than others 

--

"We're here," Phoebe said, parking the car and turning around to face Gracie, who had a sleeping Winnie on her lap

"Ok, I'll carry her up and put her on the bed," Gracie said, carefully peeling Winnie's legs off of her body and grabbing under her arms.

The night was dead, no paparazzi, no people, just the three of them, the isolation felt oddly comforting.  They had known each other for such little time, but the three of them had an unbreakable bond. Gracie was the little girl of the group, she would bounce around acting like a little toddler. Phoebe was the cool aunt that lets you drink in her house, she didn't really give a shit most times but was still overprotective and overbearing.

In the dead of night, Phoebe unlocked the door to her house, holding it open for Gracie and the sleeping baby. Phoebe flicked the lights on, blinding the three girls and causing WInnie to twitch in her sleep.

The three girls went up the stairs and opened the ungreased door to reveal Phoebe's newly redone room. She placed Winnie on the bed and moved her hair out of the way. She tucked her in and kissed her forehead mentally wishing her sweet dreams.

As Winnie quietly snored on the bed, Phoebe and Gracie silently played uno on the carpet below her feet. Trying to whisper at each other, despite the fact that the game was bringing out the worst in the both of them.

--

"No, everyone knows that when you put down your second to last card, you need to say UNO, and if the other person says UNO before you then you have to pick up two" Phoebe Whipser screamed at Gracie.

"You're literally crazy, nobody has ever played with that rule in their life" Gracie retaliated, smacking her on the thigh

In the silence that followed, the girls felt the floor gently rattle under them, and above them, Winnie appeared from deep under the blanket, with hair looking like a lion's mane and an expression that can only be described as pissed all the way off.

"What the fuck are you both going on about," Winnie said, catching both the girls off guard. She had a funny 'aftermath' feeling. She could feel the dried tears all over her face, and she felt upset but didn't remember too much.

Phoebe and Gracie both looked like deer in headlights, astounded at how abruptly Winnie had woken up and preceded to cuss them both out.

"Ok, Wynn" Gracie started, and Winnie's chest pounded a little harder than it already was at the nickname. "When you play uno if you have two cards and put down one, if you forget to call uno and the other person calls it before you, do you have to draw two?" Gracie asked

Both the girls stared with intent and Winnie, on their toes waiting for an answer, both girls pleading with their eyes for Winnie to stick to their side and prove them right

"Uhh, yeah duh," Winnie said blankly. She had played with that rule her whole life, who didn't play by that rule?

"I TOLD YOU, YOU DUMB BITCH" Phoebe screamed out, throwing her cards on Gracies chest

"Whatever, I win anyway cause you just forfeited." Gracie stuck out her young like a toddler

Gracie patted the floor next to her, signaling for Winnie to join them in their fierce game of cards.

Winnie felt weak, she felt powerless. She had never had her home life exposed to anyone, except Taylor. She had always put a wall up, a wall as thick as steel, a wall as indestructible as titanium. She was scared to let her newfound family in, scared they would comfort her, then abruptly leave, abandoning her. But for the time being, it felt nice to know that there was at least someone in the world who cared about her. Maybe they weren't immediate family, but you chose your family.

Sitting down next to Graice, she collected her thoughts, as she collected the cards, and began shuffling, readying them for a new game.

The three girls went in circle for hours, bickering back and forth about rules, winners, and other unimportant things that they shouldn't have been worried about.

-

Hours had passed, and the Uno was beginning to grow more boring every time Phoebe +4'd someone for no reason.

"What time is it? We have to wake up at like 4 tomorrow" Phoebe uncrossed her legs and stood up to go grab her phone

"OH MY GOD" Gracie squealed, jumping back from Phoebe's phone. "IT'S TWELVE, WE HAVE FOUR HOURS TO SLEEP,  EVERYONE GO TO BED NOW NOW NOW" She demanded, racing around in circles, trying to remember her night-time routine.

"Yeah I'm already line twelve steps ahead of you" Winnie pointed to her bed head, referencing the fact that she was asleep 10 minutes ago

Gracie's lips curled upwards as she began laughing at the rat's nest that was Winnie's current state of hair.

"Yeah you're so funny, go brush your teeth guys ill make the bed." Phoebe ushered them both out of the door, before abruptly slamming it in their faces, leaving the other two girls astounded.

-

Staring at her reflection as she shined her teeth, Winnie was shocked. She was so different, she wasn't scared anymore, she felt. Powerful. Like nobody could stop her, because the wall she put up had been slammed down and replaced with three girls who she knew would protect her against the world. 

It was just the three of them against the world.

-

"Stop touching my feet, I don't get why I have to get why I have to be in the middle" Winnie failed her arms around in the dark, accidentally smacking Gracie and Phoebe simultaneously

"Get.. Off me" Phoebe struggled trying to push her moving hands away, "You have to stay in the middle because you're 5 feet tall you dwarf. Plus my house, my rules" Phoebe audibly stuck her tongue out, making sure everyone heard.

"Oh be quiet you're not some dictator, we could stage a coupe easily" Gracie added, grabbing Winnie's hand under the sheets.

"Night," The three said in unison together, as if they were a married couple

A/N

.....Hey...

SO SORRY FOR TAKING FOREVER AND SO SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT IM SO SO SO SO SO SO SO BUSY AND I MEAN THAT AND ALSO.... THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL PROBABLY TAKE AS LONG LMFAO SORRY I LOVE YOU GUYS.