21 || Happy Birthday

Depuis le début

Thus began the most amusing traditional their families had ever participated in, and in the middle of her third plate of pancakes in the Great Birthday Eat-Off, Monique walked in with an array of s(n)ide comments.

"Oh, don't mind me... or the syrup on your nose."

"I think half your pancake just fell out of your mouth and onto your lap, Lee. Before you even ask, no, I'm not eating it, or anything else, off of you."

After that, Lee was choking too much to continue, and Auntie Em along with Kira were the only ones left.

"Go, Kira!"

"Baby, if you finish last I won't be the one finishing first tonight!"

"Key, if you finish last I'll buy you those new shoes for Christmas!"

"That's bribery, Lee!" Trevor broke in.

"These boys know nothing... Honey, if you finish before Kira I'll be the one licking the syrup at the very end!"

"Dad!" Groans echoed around the table at Uncle G's lewd comments.

"Okay, that totally killed my appetite, Uncle!" she cried indignantly and pushed her plate away before her dad could add anymore pancakes.

Lee and her father both groaned at her defeat, while Trevor and Uncle G gave each other high fives.

"If I look a bit green, I swear it's the - oh, goodness, I'm going to be sick." Auntie Em held a hand over her mouth delicately and the table watched on amusedly. "Excuse me, everyone."

Monique still had a constipated look on her face, and Kira had to laugh even if it meant her hefty stomach would stretch with each breath. "I so sympathize with pregnant women now," she moaned.

Her friend could have taken her outstretched hand and helped her stand up but no, she just laughed in Kira's face. "Get your fat glutes up, we're going on a spa date I reserved for us before dinner tonight!"

Kira's eyes widened at the mention of more food. "Ugh, and dad's cooking, too! Damn it, I'll have to miss that unless I can digest all this before tonight."

With a small shrug and humph, Monique picked up her purse and keys, walking to the door before Kira could even stand.

"Wait for me!"

"Sure, I'll wait... Like you did before eating twenty-four pancakes!"

Kira glowered at the empty space Monique had preoccupied. "Twenty-three. But who's counting?"