[15]

Blondie blared through the stereo speakers as Becca's bedroom was abuzz with the smell of hairspray and perfume. In the mirror, Anna gave herself a final once over, fixing her hair while Becca looked back and forth between two different tops hanging up in her closet, and Michelle zipped up the boots Becca had insisted she borrow for the evening. Meanwhile, Landon sprawled out on Becca's bed while the three girls got ready, reading a Stephen King book he'd stolen from his best friend's bookshelf upon arrival.

"Any day now," Landon teased, not looking up from his current page of Pet Sematary.

"We're almost ready," Becca retorted, placing the green top back into her closet before changing into the blue one. "We can't all just shake out our hair and throw on the first shirt we find on our bedroom floors, Landon."

A knock sounded at the bedroom door, and Anna turned to see Steve leaning against the doorway, fist still raised by the wooden frame. "Hey, Becs," Steve said, crossing his arms over his chest. "Which New Year's party did you guys decide to hit up tonight?"

"Andy McConnell's," Becca said, fastening up the rest of the buttons on the blue shirt. "Audrey Kline called earlier today to invite us."

"Cool, cool," he mused. "Mind if Nancy and I tag along and meet you guys there? Most of the juniors are going over to Carol's, but I can think of a thousand other things I'd rather be doing than going to a party there."

"Can't say I blame you," Becca smirked. "Yeah, that's fine. We're leaving here in twenty."

"Cool," Steve repeated, flashing the others in the room a quick grin before disappearing back down the hallway towards his bedroom.

As the girls finally finished getting ready, and Anna grabbed her purse from where it lay next to Landon on the bed, along with her coat, they piled into Becca's car, Landon playing his usual role of designated driver that evening. As the McConnell's house came into view, Andy's parents long gone on a trip to Las Vegas for the new year, the music had begun to drift out of the house and down the street, accompanying the line of cars parked on the side of the road from various Hawkins students attending that night's party.

"This is insane," Landon said as they reached the house, his eyes wandering to where a few students were partaking in a keg stand outside, despite the snow on the ground from a couple nights prior.

"Well, you know Andy," Becca replied as she opened the door, the loud music nearly hitting them like a wave as they entered the house. "What do you say? Ready to drink some weed and smoke some beers?"

"First of all, I don't drink, not even weed, and even I know that isn't even in the ballpark of correct." Landon chuckled, shaking his head as they moved further into the house. "I could go for a smoke though."

Journey played through the speakers as Anna looked around the entryway, a big banner Anna assumed had been made by Audrey at the top of the stairs reading New Year's 1984! as various partygoers moved on the stairs below, coming and going from where she assumed the main party was being held in the living room, to where others had branched off into smaller groups upstairs. In the dining room off to her left, she could see Andy locked in an arm wrestling match with Jason Carver, the sounds of cheering from onlookers just barely noticeable over the music. Behind Andy stood Audrey Kline, cheering on her boyfriend before her gaze moved up to see the newcomers, and her expression brightened at the notice of Becca and her friends at the door.

"You guys made it!" Audrey exclaimed, making her way to the doorway. "There's pizza, drinks, and other snacks in the kitchen, help yourselves. Keg's out front, but if you don't want to go outside, just ask Patrick, he'd be more than happy to help you guys out."