"can you even spell 'unresolved'?" sandy asked, brushing the hair away from her sister's face.

"well, yeah," rose said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "u-n-r-e-s-l—"

"wrong," melissa smirked.

rose threw a french fry at her. "i messed up, alright? i can spell. i was just goin' too fast."

"stop throwing things, rosie," evie said softly as she removed the fry from melissa's red hair.

"i believe you can spell," ellie told rose.

"i don't," melissa interjected, combing her fingers through her hair. "if she could, she would've spelled it instead of throwin' food at me in a tantrum," she teased.

"well maybe it's a good thing, your hair could use a nice washin' anyhow." rose stuck her tongue out at her.

"i just washed it today!"

"rose, be nice," sandy scolded, but they could all see the smile she was trying to hold back.

rose's mischievous grin only widened at the expense of her sister's expression, but she complied. "okay, okay. i never got to you, evie, cause your friend here so rudely interrupted me. can't even believe i'm related to her."

she looked at evie's face, carefully analyzing her features. "i think you have a hard time speakin' your mind. you can't say no, but you can't exactly say yes, either."

"what's that mean, rosie?" evie inquired.

she shrugged nonchalantly. "people ask you for favors and you always say yes, even if you don't wanna. i can see it on your face and body language."

"so why can't i say yes, then?"

rose looked down and twiddled her thumbs, an impish smirk slowly growing on her face. "well, um, you can't tell people when you want somethin', or should i say... someone?" she rested her chin on her hand and waggled her eyebrows up and down.

evie's eyes widened and she shook her head frantically. the other three girls looked to be confused.

rose waved her hand dismissively. "don't worry, evie. i ain't gonna say anything. my lips," she pretended to zip them up and throw away a key, "are sealed."

"thanks, rose," evie sighed, relieved.

ellie and melissa exchanged glances. how was it that rose knew something about evie that sandy didn't? they were best friends, after all. it was strange how rose drew all these conclusions, and somehow, someway, she was right about this one.

searching for answers as to how she was omniscient in her own was was bound to get you lost in an ocean of theories.

it was probably her imagination coincidentally being correct about whatever it was, anyway.

ellie didn't mind her weird sense of tuition, if anything, she was glad it was like that. as long as rose didn't end up like her, she'd be eternally grateful that rose could be happy instead of watching her youth slowly slip away.

nobody wants that.

but then again, rose grew up differently, and that is most likely to continue being the case.

without even trying, rose was just more knowledgeable of the world, and ellie couldn't comprehend it. she was always so observant, so why did she know less? it's like the harder she tried, the more it backfired on her.

ordinarily, she'd spend hours dwelling on a topic like this, but this time around, it didn't bother her in the slightest.

she went to sleep that day smiling at the thought that all hope wasn't lost.