Chapter 20

Twilight took a deep breath, as she walked toward her parent's house. Breathing was becoming so difficult as she got closer and closer. Every step felt weighted down by the extreme negative emotions she was feeling. She felt as if she could faint at any moment. She didn't want to see them. She wanted to go home. Her real home. Ponyville, in Pinkie's hooves. Anywhere but here. Anywhere but with the ones who made her feel so awful about herself. They were why she was deteriorating so badly when she should be the happiest she's ever been. She finally found love, but at what cost? She was seconds from falling apart constantly, and was so afraid to let anypony know how she was feeling. Fear was winning this battle, and her anxiety only grew wondering how much worse things could get. Her thoughts came to a pause- She was at her parent's doorstep.

She rang the doorbell, and stood up as straight as she could, waiting to formally greet them. She knew if she wasn't at her absolute best, they'd go into a rage much quicker than they normally would.

Velvet levitated the door open.

"Hello, Twilight. I see you've finally decided to show up."

"Hi, Mother. I apologize for not coming soo-"

"I don't need to hear your excuses. Don't let it happen again."

"Yes, Mother."

"Your Father is making some tea. I'll have him make extra so we can talk."

"Thank you."

Twilight walked nervously behind Velvet. Her entire body was trembling. She was already ready to leave.

A few minutes later, Velvet and Night Light returned to where they'd seated Twilight to sit and wait- an uncomfortable but regal looking chair in their library. Twilight was so intrigued in what new books they might have, she got distracted and almost forgot where she was. As she searched around for any titles she might be interested in, her Father's voice had her shaken.
"As a house guest it's very inappropriate to look through our books without asking."

Twilight quickly turned around, and returned to her chair.

"I'm sorry. I just saw some new books and-"

"Again, with the excuses! Haven't we taught you better than that?"

Velvet's words hurt deeper than she knew. Twilight suddenly felt an urge. An urge to defend herself. For the first time in her life, she saw that her parents were the ones being inappropriate. Why were they ok with treating their own daughter this way? She stood up tall and stared at a wall behind them, not being able to give the two eye contact.

"It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. You taught me to seek knowledge in any way I can."

Her parents grew furious. She hadn't dared to speak her mind this way since she was a filly. She learned the hard way that this would always end badly. But she almost didn't care anymore. She couldn't live with their cruel words much longer. She needed to do something.

The yelling started. Yelling turned to screaming. They went on and on and on about her failures, her disappointments, her mistakes,  how terrible of a daughter she was. Her eyes filled with tears as she began to break down in fear and sorrow. Suddenly, the flashbacks came rushing in as she closed her eyes in despair. She was once again a tiny unicorn, being scolded by her parents for the smallest thing, wondering what she'd done this time. She just wanted it to stop. She wanted time to stop. She wanted everything to stop. And...it did.

A turquoise glow levitated her parents off the ground, and silenced their voices. She recognized this aura. It was Starlight.

Twilight lifted her head and saw her student standing in the doorway, with a look of fury. She was even angrier than Twilight's parents, and for good reason. Spike had briefed her a bit on their parents earlier that day, out of concern for Twilight's visit. Spike wanted to go and make sure Twilight would be ok, but Starlight insisted on doing it herself, knowing how much trauma Spike also had from them. She'd decided to just teleport inside when she heard the sound of yelling and rage. She began to walk closer to Twilight, and addressed her parents head on.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" She put her hoof on Twilight's head to give her some sense of security.

"Starlight? What are you doing- nevermind, it's fine. Just go. Everything is fine."

"Twilight, you can't keep telling me that. The way they're treating you is awful. I can't just let this continue to destroy you."

Starlight then placed Velvet and Night Light back on the ground, and gave them back their ability to speak. Velvet shifted her anger toward Starlight.

"You! Who do you think you are interfering with my relationship with my daughter? You're a mere student. You don't know anything. You're just as inadequate if not worse than our daughter. Leave immediately."

"Not without Twilight. Come on, you don't need to take this, there's a way out."

Twilight looked in Starlight's eyes tearfully, and decided to trust her. They began to leave the room. But of course, not without objection.

"Twilight, you get back here right now! What is wrong with you? You're being awful to the ones who gave you everything. You're NOTHING without us.", Night Light shouted.

Twilight stopped in her own tracks. She was shaking so vividly, but managed to get her words out.

"You didn't give me everything. Celestia did. My friends did. Spike did. Pinkie did. They make me who I am. If i'd let you influence me like you wanted to, I'd be just as much of a monster as you both are. And it sickens me to even be related to you."

"Don't you dare mention Celestia. I knew she'd ruin you. You've become just as disappointing as everyone else.",  Night Light said.

"What is this even about? You're overreacting over nothing. Act like an adult and stop this.", Velvet raged.

Starlight stepped forward. "She's done nothing but speak her mind. You are the ones with the wrong idea. Twilight has saved lives, she's shown so many the magic of friendship. She's truly amazing. If you aren't proud that your own daughter is the Princess of Friendship, you'll never be happy." Starlight took Twilight's hoof and ran out the door, slamming it shut. Before her parents could follow them, she teleported them home.

Back in Ponyville on the way back to the castle, Twilight didn't say a single word. She was still shaking and crying, as if it would never stop. She was so afraid. But as much as she was hurting, she expected this. But she couldn't ever really prepare herself for how far they would go to make her feel worthless. When they finally got into the castle, Twilight went straight to her room. Starlight followed close behind, worried for her teacher.

"Twi, do you wanna talk?"

"No." She slammed her head into a pillow, tearfully.

"What if I brought Pinkie over to-"

"No! Just stop! I can't involve her in this! It's bad enough that I'm affecting you now!", Twilight shouted with anger, still crying her eyes out.

Starlight was taken aback by Twilight's sudden change of tone. She knew Twilight had some anger problems just like she did but she was normally really good at keeping it at bay. She could tell she was just really stressed and needed some alone time.

"Alright, well I can see you need some alone time so I'm gonna go. If you need me, I'm here." Starlight began to shut the door when Twilight stopped her.

"Starlight, wait."

Starlight turned around.

"I'm sorry for reacting like that. There's no excuse. I just, I need some time right now. I have so many thoughts going through my head."

"I understand. And believe me, I get it. Just please, talk to me when you feel up to it. I promise you i'm always ready to listen."

"Thank you."

Starlight smiled, before shutting the door. Just then, Twilight broke down into tears once again. She felt such despair. Why did her parents hate her so much? Why were they so awful to her? Did she deserve it? Is this what she got for being gay? For making decisions they didn't approve of? For moving away from them? For following Celestia's guidance? For taking in Spike against their wishes? For falling for Pinkie in the first place. She had so much to think about. And every part of her heart was just breaking at a nonstop rate. She felt so empty. She felt so lost. She felt, worthless.