Chapter 3 - I am your father...

Start from the beginning

Salvatore surprised himself by saying that word aloud. Dante frowned.

Dante: A daughter that you didn't know exist one hour ago!

Salvatore: Even if you are right, it doesn't change the fact that she is my blood, just like you.

Dante: No, she is not and never will be!

Dante kicked one of the bench of the corridor and left, angry. Gabriel was ready to go after him, but his father stopped him.

Salvatore: Give him some time alone to digest everything.

Gabriel: He is 27. I didn't expect him to react like a teenage boy.

Salvatore: I know but I can understand him. You, on the other hand, seem to handle all of this pretty well. Are you not angry?

Gabriel: Would it change anything? Did that kid ask for all of this? Why should she be held responsible for what happened between you and her mother? (He sighed, to hide the fact that he was becoming emotional.) What will you do with her? Will you recognize her as your daughter and provide everything to assure her a good life?

Salvatore: Of course, I will, it's not even a question.

Gabriel: But what if her mother doesn't want you to be involved in her daughter's life? After all, she must have known that you were Suki's father and she never tried to contact you.

Salvatore: When she is going to wake up, we will have time to make it all clear. (He took out his phone.) Let me handle the room issue first. 

Gabriel sat on the closest bench of Fumiko's room and called the man in charge of investigate about her life. He needed answers quickly.

20 minutes passed before Dante showed up again. Everyone could smell that he had smoked few cigarettes, probably to calm down.

Salvatore had the confirmation that the hospital was preparing the room he asked and that they will transfer Fumiko in the coming minutes. They let Suki alone with her mother and through the window, they noticed that the little girl had felt asleep.

Gabriel: You didn't leave after all?

Dante: Iguess I am a good soldier. What...

Dante was interrupted by the doctor and two nurses running toward their direction. Gabriel stood up and looked through the door window and saw Suki standing near the bed, calling her mother.

The doctor pushed him and entered with the nurses. He followed their steps and understood that Fumiko was waking up. The monitor sound was faster, and her eyes were trying to open.

Doctor: Take her daughter out. (He ordered one of the nurse.)

Nurse: Suki, the doctor needs to check on your mother.

The nurse took Suki to the door and Gabriel nodded to inform her that he would handle the kid.

Doctor: Madam Tanaka, can you hear me? You are at the hospital; I am your doctor. If you can hear me, shake my hand.

Suki: Okasan...

Doctor: Yes, that's great, you're doing great Madam. (Fumiko had respond to the doctor's orders and even opened her eyes.) You had a surgery, but everything should be fine now. (He looked at Gabriel and Salvatore.) She was not supposed to wake up so soon with the medication, so she will probably be in a kind of trance for a couple of hours, but I think that we can transfer her to the VIP floor. Madam Tanaka seems to have a strong will to live.