twenty; public flirting

Start from the beginning

When I get home I head inside and aim towards the stairs, not long before my father emerges from the study down the hall. His dark eyes find mine and I groan internally, the only person I wanted to avoid for the sake of this disastrous conversation.

"Nathaniel!" He barks and I stop on the second step.

I take a deep breath and prepare myself. "Yeah?"

His jaw clenches as he walks towards me, settling by the bannister. "Get down here now."

My feet take two steps until I'm on the same level as he is. Those eyes look murderous but I'm giving him a lazy glare back because I can't be bothered for this. Not after the day I've had with Milo, nothing can ruin my high.

"How dare you show me up in front of Leon and Coby!" He yells under a harsh whisper, not wanting others to overhear the Beta telling off his adult son. "You do not get to just walk away when we call you to a meeting."

I fold my arms over my chest and my dads eyes flare at the action. "I am allowed to do what I want, dad. This is a free country and if I didn't want to be in the conversation, then I am allowed to walk away when I want."

"Don't you dare use that tone with me, boy," he almost growls, stepping up to me but I don't back down.

I've never brawled with my dad but recently it's seeming more and more likely with the stunts he pulls and thinks he can get away with.

"You brought this upon me," I say, keeping my head high. "You dropped me into this without even giving me a flicker of thought. I have every right to react the way I did, you're pushing this on me–"

"Pushing this on you?!"

I narrow my eyes at my father who looks like he could behead me any given second.

"Anyone in this pack would be damn grateful for becoming the Alpha? I don't know what's wrong with you, so incredibly immature and unappreciative for what I've given up for you!" His voice bellows down the hall.

My eyes blink rapidly. "What exactly have you given up for me, dad?"

I watch his nostrils flare in my direction. "Everything to make sure our bloodline carries on in the pack's hierarchy. I didn't work this hard for you to just drop it at my feel like it's nothing."

"Well maybe if you weren't so damn pushy with me about it, I might have come around by myself but no... you always have to make things about you and what you want, make things harder for me than they already are. By pushing this on me, it only makes me want to run in the opposite direction, as far away from you and this pack as possible." I speak loudly.

I don't realise how harsh and nasty my words sound until I say them but they needed to come out. They've been sitting on my chest for years, since mum died. If I didn't get them out then, I would have broken down on myself.

My dad looks dumbfounded, probably because I've never said anything before. Now it's time to take a stand.

"It will be my decision if I become Alpha or Beta and no one else's," I step back and watch his eyes fill with betrayal and annoyance. "I will need time to think about what I want, what's best for me and my own mental health. I'm not going to make myself do something to make you happy. We don't have to live the same life, dad. You need to understand that."

When he says nothing and his fists clench at his sides, I nod back at him and walk up the stairs. I don't hear him come after me or call out, I've most likely shocked him to his core but it's about time.

No more will I be his puppet. I am my own person who can make my own decisions.

As I push my way into my bedroom, I glance down to realise that I'm still in Milo's clothes. No doubt I stink of him but my father didn't even bother to mention it, that's how much he doesn't care about what goes on in my life. Typical.