Chapter 133

Mulai dari awal

Nicky stretched, "I can join you two. The last time I was on a set of monkey bars I was wearing a gorilla costume."

Some days I think Nicky could write a few very unusual novels that even fewer people would understand. I reluctantly nodded, "Sure."

Liz cheered and released my hand to run ahead of us. The man from the forest lingered behind silently as the group continued with the tour. Logan surprised me by volunteering as well, "I think I will join you as well."

He dropped out of the ranks to join our growing crowd. His presence didn't sit well with the man from the forest. Daniel looked back at Nicky and me, "If you need anything, give a holler. I should be able to hear you from anywhere inside this place."

I nodded as I acknowledged his offer of assistance if something got out of hand. The leader looked impressed at Daniel's claim, but I knew that if Daniel was outside and trying to listen that he would probably even hear our voices if we barely raised them above normal level. It was also a subtle warning for the man.

I walked toward the park as I pretended to mostly ignore the two men. My instincts were up and keeping close tabs on both of them. Logan was still mostly an unknown entity. The man from the forest also had me on edge. Someone who had no problems walking through a dark forest with no fear was not to be disregarded lightly.

I leaned against the side of a shed as I watched Liz climb up the playground equipment. Logan went to join her, which also surprised me. I would not have pegged him as a person to play around with kids. Nicky attempted a cartwheel on the sand. Attempted being the keyword. She somehow managed to combine a cartwheel with kickboxing. I made a mental note to never stand anywhere near her when she did stuff like that.

The man from the forest was watching her dangerous feet and gave her plenty of room for her unpredictable actions. He kept glancing between me and Nicky as he slowly walked toward me. He gave me plenty of space as he also leaned against the shed.

It did not surprise me in the least that he was trying to get me alone to speak with me. What did surprise me was that he finally seemed uneasy or nervous.

I exhaled in annoyance before glancing sideways at him, "What do you want?"

My low irritated voice should convey that I was not happy that he was following me around. He inclined his head respectfully as he tried to mollify my temper, "Simply to ask questions."

I snorted and was unimpressed, "Questions annoy me."

"You are the Nightstalker we saw last night, aren't you?"

"And if I was?" My voice was faintly challenging.

"I meant no offense. It just took us by surprise. We had no clue you were a zombie before nightfall."

My tone was dry, "I was human not that long ago. There aren't many physical differences between zombies and humans."

If my words and tone irritated him, he didn't show it as he remained steadfastly polite, "I would like to ask a question."

I rolled my eyes, "You have already asked several questions and my patience is as short as my stature."

He took a few moments to organize his question before tentatively asking, "If someone was bitten and turned into a Runner, but they never touched human flesh, is it possible for them to regain control?"

I had foreseen this, but people digging for information always got my hackles up, "If they never ate raw animal flesh, human flesh, or human blood, then yes. They should be able to regain control if they can override their bloodlust and instincts."