Chapter 11

Viktor had managed to haul the gargoyle onto his couch, closing the door shut to keep the cold out. Brook began to pant fast from his cold, twitching. Instantly, Viktor ran to get one of his woolen blankets to wrap around the creature, covering him all up, including those big wings.

When feeling the soft blankets in his sleep, Brooklyn's movements calmed down though he still sniffled while asleep, watching the pained expression on his new guest's face. He had obviously been through troubled times before.

Brooklyn tossed slightly on the couch, tears falling down his face, shaking all over from having stress disorder from previous events. Viktor shook his own head before eventually going to get his first aid kit to heal the scratches on Brooklyn's arm.

He began to treat the scratch by rubbing cleaning alcohol on it first. Brook gave another yelp of pain, whimpering and fidgeting. Viktor was feeling frustrated. "Come on, Creature, stop fidgeting, or it'll make your wounds worse. Please hold still!"

That made the red gargoyle settle just a bit, beads of sweat on his forehead, moaning, and still passed out. Viktor already knew of how gargoyles turned to stone in the day, and sunrise was just an hour away.

"Sa-sha..." Brook croaked out, still missing the girl that helped him from the auction. Viktor was confused; who was Sasha? He knew he had plenty of questions to ask this one when he awoke, knowing that he couldn't go outside again for nearly a week if he wanted to freeze out there. "Hang in there, it'll be sunrise soon."

Brook weakly cracked his eyes open, just a bit, seeing his surroundings all blurred and fuzzy, so weak. He thought he heard Hudson, turning to see a strange figure in his vision. "Hud...sn..." He slurred thickly, tears welling in his eyes, missing his family desperately. Viktor sighed sadly, hearing him say the name of someone he didn't know. Obviously hallucinating.

After another tedious few minutes, the sun rose while the winds began to slow up a little, and Viktor for the first time saw the stone skin covering up Brooklyn while he was still out of it. He took off the blanket for now in case the shards ruined it when he woke but planned to wrap it around him again.

The day went by slowly as Viktor went around doing his usual climatologist job, since he knew there was no point in hanging out with a statue all day. He knew the gargoyle would be safe, hence him locking the door so no one would break in, hoping he wouldn't freak out when waking in his cabin.

Upon sunset sometime later, Viktor returned with more samples from trees and plants, anxious to greet his new guest. He opened the door, getting the towel ready to wrap around him again.

The stone skin cracked; his eyes glowed which somewhat startled the man who had never seen this before, and the creature yawned/roared weakly, awakening at last.

....

Brooklyn felt himself awakening out of his stone skin, his vision at first very fuzzy and no clue where he was. The last thing Brook remembered was on the brink of an icy death, ready to join Sasha again in the afterlife. But sadly, he was still alive. He stared around the strange cabin, still too weak and lying on the couch, trying to find his rescuer.

He then spotted the strange human man, who had a look like he was in his mid-50s. He was watching in concern, and Brooklyn's ears went flat, eyes dilating big at the sight of him.

"Get back..." He croaked, shaking a bit despite his fever and hypothermia gone now, his body was still shivery from after-effects. Viktor wouldn't move away. Instead, he held out the blanket, a warm smile on his face. "Here. You look a bit chilled still," he offered. "I won't harm you."

Brooklyn felt super wary, staring at the offering in mistrust. But the human seemed harmless enough, as he timidly reached out for the blanket, grabbing it quickly and wrapping his body, wings, and all in it, turning away.

Viktor sighed slightly, shaking his head again. "Why won't you let me help? I can at least bring you tea," he offered. Brooklyn peeked out from his blanket, before eventually nodding, his throat so dry from the winter air. Viktor stood up and went to make chamomile tea for his guest and even filled a bucket of warm water to put Brooklyn's feet in.

He came back with the hot water bucket while the tea was boiling and placed it down. Brook eyed the water in fear, his ears flat on his head, still not trusting this strange man. Viktor gave him an encouraging smile. "To help you get warm. You just need to put your feet in. It won't hurt." Brooklyn swallowed, staring down at the hot water, he timidly placed his feet into the bucket.

Brooklyn gasped slightly from the hot water after feeling cold for days. But eventually, he felt himself getting used to it, laying on the couch, eyes closed, holding his blanket. Viktor felt glad the gargoyle was able to do it but wanted to know his name.

"What is your name, young gargoyle?" He asked, making Brooklyn nearly believe he was hearing Hudson's voice again, tears in his eyes again. He sniffled, still shy but spoke in a quiet voice. "Brooklyn." He mumbled. Viktor was somewhat surprised at the kind of name that Brooklyn had which sounded really American to him, New York mostly.

Viktor heard the teapot whistle and went up to get his tea prepared for Brooklyn, bringing the mug back after pouring in the tea and handing it over to Brooklyn, who tensed slightly again but then took the tea mug, looking slightly thankful to him, taking a small sip. It tasted good, nice, and warm down his throat.

"Thank... you..." Brooklyn said, his eyes shining in sadness, though he was confused at why this stranger who looked like he never saw a gargoyle would want to help him.

Viktor noticed his look. "I help anybody in need, Molodoy, whoever they are," he responded. "But you shouldn't try going anywhere until you are well rested." Viktor stated firmly, even though the red male looked like he wanted to keep going out there, his head inclined toward the door.

Brooklyn saw from Viktor's gaze that he had no choice, which was fine with him. He felt rather happy to have feeling in his toes again, the warm water caressing his feet. He wrapped the towel around him further, tears falling down his face, feeling homesick once more. Viktor noticed. "You seem to be homesick, is that right?" Brooklyn just looked away, drinking. He didn't want to talk about it but his heart betrayed him.

"I shouldn't even be here; I was kidnapped," Brooklyn proclaimed, gripping his mug tight. Viktor noticed his tail as well. "What's wrong with your tail?" Viktor went to hold it, seeing how mutilated it was. This made Brooklyn jerk harshly.

"NO! Get off!" He screamed in a scratchy tone, jerking his tail away. Viktor backed away; hands held up. "Sorry, molodoy, didn't mean any offense. Just wanted to help." Viktor's eyes looked concerned for the gargoyle's skittish behavior. Only animal abusers could've done that.

"Just don't touch it again... please..." Brook whined, feeling more tears fall, wiping them and hiding it under his blanket. Viktor sat down on his chair. "But what caused it to look like that?"

Brooklyn felt bad memories resurfacing, staring wide eyed. "They-they broke it off... while stone..." he choked. That stunned Viktor greatly and disgusted him. How could they do that?!

He placed a gentle hand on Brooklyn's arm, feeling his skin shiver from his touch. "I'll ensure those terrible people don't find you here. You can stay for as long as you need to recover physically and mentally." Brooklyn didn't know if he wanted to but the man's voice was kind, and he got tea. It probably wouldn't be too bad. After a few minutes, Brooklyn nodded in agreement, eyes still shy. Viktor looked happy to have company after being alone and would want to show Brooklyn all his research he was doing. "Where's... my bag? Had... a bag..." Brooklyn also whimpered, remembering Sasha's present.

Viktor shrugged. "I'm sorry but I didn't see one," He said. That made Brooklyn come to the realization that his bag must've been lost to the water, making him cry in loss.

Soon the sun began to come up again. Viktor took away the bucket of water and Brooklyn finished his tea as much as he could. They would try food another night. He lay back on the couch, eyes closed as he turned, slowly feeling safe here. This man wouldn't chop off his body parts in his sleep, he was sure of it.