Quasimodo intervened, 'No, no, that is unnecessary. Mademoiselle, what was your mother saying? What happened to Esmeralda?'

Before this could be answered, Madame Gondelaurier interjected, 'Father, please give her a clue to remedy this marriage. I have entrusted Phoebus with her responsibility. If he remains this way, how will we answer people?'

'Unfortunately tomorrow is a Sunday, so I shall be occupied. The day after I need to go to Dijon with the Bishop to supervise some young priests. But when I come back, you can bring your son-in-law to me.'

'We are grateful to you, father, thank you very much.' Fleur repeated.

'And Fleur-Dy-Lys,' he said, 'I advise you to not torment that girl until I return. If you are correct about her, witches, they pounce at every chance of getting back to you. Young brides should avoid them as much as possible.'

'Oh, you do understand!' Fleur said pleasantly and kissed his hand. He smiled kindly.

After she was gone, he returned to the altar and sighed. 'Lord, forgive our sins.' Quasimodo hesitatingly went to him. 'But, Father, she isn't a witch.'

'Sometimes, you have to tell people what they want to hear. It isn't as simple as the cloisters say it is,' he said, returning to the candlestands. 'Anyway, what brought you here?'

'Master, he hasn't come for some time.'

'The Duke of Austria is here. He must be busy.'

'By any chance, father, do you have some bread?' The archdeacon reared back. 'My boy, don't tell me that he is starving you!'

'He is not. I am sure he's burdened with work.' He paused. 'What was she saying about him punishing her?'

'I do not know, son. Do you remember the wedding that took place yesterday? It was of her and Captain Phoebus. Something happened at their feast, and they are all talking about it now. You know how much your master values his reputation.'

The bell-ringer mediated on whether to say what he was about to. 'She loved him, Phoebus. She said that he would save her from them and prove her innocence.' The archdeacon shook his head without turning around. 'Does that trouble you? You can tell me the truth.'

'Well...yes,' answered Quasimodo honestly. 'He didn't deserve her love. But nor do I. At least he's handsome and charming like her; but she's more charming. Anyway, it isn't my place to judge that. I just want her to be happy; whether with him or Master it doesn't matter.

The door opened again, and this time it was Quasimodo's master himself. He walked impatiently toward the two of them.

'Why, Frollo, it's good that you're here. Your adopted son was just asking me for food.'

He handed the basket of food in Quasimodo's hands. 'What are you doing here? You will scare someone.'

'I'm sorry. I was just hungry.'

'You should've waited for me. Regardless, I came here to tell you that tomorrow morning I shall leave for Arras with the King for the signing of a treaty with Maximilian.' He turned to the priest. 'I would like you to feed him till I return.'

The archdeacon opened his mouth to protest, but Frollo continued. 'And boy, I believe that you know better than to leave the bell tower,' he said looking sternly.

'Certainly, master.'

'And if she comes here,' he raised his voice to emphasize, 'you shall not initiate any conversation. It doesn't suit someone like her to speak to someone like you. Especially now that she is with me.'