Chapter one

I look at the time as I am flipping the pancakes in the pan. "6.30" I sigh "Got to get Elijah up", I put the final pancake on to the plate. One plate for my mum, Elijah and I. Covering each stack of pancakes with everyone's favorite, my mum loves to have a small drizzle of syrup with blue berries on hers. My brother has chocolate syrup and normal syrup mixed together, don't ask I've learned to not ask otherwise I'll get a 5 minute explanation to why they are a good mix. While I have syrup and a small cube of butter on mine.
As I place my brothers plate on the table, he appears as if he smelt it being prepared and teleported to the breakfast table. I jump, startled by his sudden appearance "Elijah! You almost made me drop the plates, next time don't scare me like that" he just laughs in response as he digs in. I sit down beside him and begin to dig in as well, seeing as mum doesn't wake up for another 30 minutes.

After eating, I check the time "perfect" I mutter to myself as I stand up taking Elijah and I's plate to the sink. "Elijah, please go get ready for school. Mum will be awake in 15 minutes which gives me enough time to go to the field and get a new bunch of lilac's for mum" I say as I watch him leave the kitchen and head towards his room. Once I completed the dishes, I grabbed my hand woven wicker flower basket and headed out the door.

I did this every morning, and I know lilacs aren't my mum's favorite but they are the only flowers in the field around my house, and they reminded of her when I would call them the tall purples before she would have to pull me to school, as I didn't want to leave the field. Yet when she lost her mobility movement, my heart was set on getting her a bunch each morning before school, just to see her smile.
I stepped across the quiet pebbled road and onto the field, walking to the set by the old willow tree, as that's where the older lilacs where located. I picked a bunch, until I spotted something. A rose, they aren't meant to grow here. It won't survive if I left it there, so grabbing the small gardening shovel I always keep in my basket I carefully dig it out, refusing to leave its roots in the ground I hold the flower in my hand, with its roots and walk back home. My garden is covered with flowers I'd find dying in that field as only lilac's can grow there. So I plant them in my garden, for them to survive longer and make more of it's kind.

Once the rose is planted in the garden, I head inside going to my mothers room and smile seeing that she is awake "Good Morning, Mother". Her head turns my way smile softly "Good Morning my beautiful girl". We talk about how we slept while I change the lilac's in the flower pot before asking her "Are you ever going to tell me what your favorite flower really is?", her head shakes "No, how ever I see it every day in the garden of flowers you have made" her bedroom looks out onto the garden where she is able to see every flower. "Plus I could never let you change my daily amount of lilac's, when you know how much they mean to me".
I walk to her planting a kiss on her cheek before heading out the room and returning with her pancakes, for some reason she prefers them cold. She would always tell us " the pancake tastes better cold" strange woman. As I place her food on the table attached to her hospital style bed, I figure it's time to give her a run through of the day she has her ahead.

"So the physiotherapist will be out today at 10. She has the spare key. Then your nurse arrive at 11 and stay until I get home with Elijah at 5" the only response I got from her was a nod as her mouth was filled with food. I kiss her cheek again and hug her gently before staying softly "I love you mama". I stand up saying my bye's for the day and head out her room, instantly knocking on Elijah's as his room is next door to my mum's room. "Come on tiny, we have school!" what? he's 4'7, which is small for 13 year old's. Plus he knows i'm joking.

Eventually he steps out of his room, in his uniform looking all smart, before giving me a hug "I love you, green giant" I chuckle softly and hug him back "I love you too, short stack". I grab his back pack handing it to him before grabbing my flower backpack sliding it onto my shoulder and walking out with Elijah.

Ps. Can you tell I love flowers?