"Hey it's Jackie!  Sorry I can't answer your call but leave me a message Lovely!  Love, peace, and smile!" *beep*

I took a deep breath; I wasn't even sure what I was going to say.

"Hey Jackie, it's me." I didn't bother saying my name, I was sure she had denied my call.  "I don't really know why I'm calling but I just..." I let out a sigh, "I need you.  I can't forget it happened and I don't want to.  What do I have to do to show you that I'm not going to give up?" I paused, I didn't have anything else to say but I didn't want to hang up because even talking to her voicemail was better than nothing.  At least I knew she'd listen.  "I'll be the bad guy, I'll tell Greg, I don't care.  I just, please Jackie.  I don't get..." *beep*

I instantly redialed her number.  It went straight to voicemail.

"Hey it's Jackie!  Sorry I can't answer your call but leave me a message Lovely!  Love, peace, and smile!"

"I don't get why you won't give me a chance." I blurted into the phone.  "That's all I'm asking for."  I ran my hand through my hair, was I pushing too much? Did it matter really?  If I backed off she'd still be with Greg.  If I pushed she was still with Greg.  "What am I suppose to forget?  The other night, the kiss?  The first kiss? You?"  I shook my head, letting out one last sigh before I ended the call.

"Who were you talking to?" I jumped at the sound of Maci's voice.  I hadn't heard her walk up.  She took a seat beside me on the curb, linking her arm through mine and resting her head on my shoulder.

"No one, don't worry about it." I said.  "It's cold outside, you should be inside."

"So should you, dinner's ready." Maci countered as she stood up.  She held out her hand for me and I took it shoving myself off the curb.  "But really, who were you on the phone with?"

I shrugged my shoulders, sliding my phone back into my pocket.  "When's the talent show?"

Maci let out a sigh, "You're avoiding my question and next Friday."

"Wow busy weekend." I muttered.

"Levi." Maci stressed my name.  She pulled on my hand, bringing me to a stop.  "Who are you suppose to forget?"

I gently tucked a few of her wispy hairs behind her ear.  It was only going to a matter of time before she'd have to pick between shaving her head and wearing a wig or leaving it to fall out in chunks.  It had already gotten so much thinner.

"Its nothing you have to worry about I promise."  I said as I pulled her into my chest.  "Besides you know I always come to you first when I need to talk."

She nodded her head as we pulled apart.  She let me take her hand and lead her back to the door.

"But that's the thing Levi, I am worried."  She said from behind me.

I turned around dropping her hand.  We were standing under the porch light just in front of the door.  From the sidewalk it probably looked like we were a young couple and I was dropping her off after our first date.  That awkward space between us as we both waited to see who would lean in first. Instead it was a brother desperately trying to keep his sister alive.  A brother laying down lie after lie in a feeble attempt to give his sister a worry free life for as long as she was here.

"What are you worried about?" I asked.  The light caught the angles in her face, making her look more gaunt.

"You."

------------
MACI POV

"What?  Why me?" Levi asked, his faced wrinkled in confusion.